Photo Etching etc

Re: Photo Etching etc

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 03, 2014 7:11 am

IMG_1970.JPG
Well I am hopefull that this lot of parts will look something like a N&W/Virginian Fairbanks Morse Trainmaster when completed. Assuming that my measuring is up to scratch of course and that Diesel Locomotives vloume 2 drawing by Bob Hayden is reasonably accurate, now I have to look at a way to power it and I am open for ideas and available parts
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 am

That's a cool project Richard! The Trainmaster is one of my favorite locomotives, if you ever decide to offer these etches Please let me know!
Al
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 am

Of course Al i am not in the realm of making money from this sort of thing so you can have one for cost of the etch plus posting. However that said I am no expert at this and have drawn this to my own limitations and ability. So let me see how and if it all fits together and if it does then I will sort it out. If not I will redraw what doesn't work and try again.
If you have etchers local to you I will just send you the cad drawing if needs be. First inclination is that the metal may be be a tad thin but I need to see how it is with the braces in place the thinner the metal the more detail you can produce generally and I have to experiment to find my happy medium. I am on a roll with the etching process, I wish I started years ago as there are so many things I want to make, because of that and in my haste I often make glaring mistakes but overall I am in love with this process. I tried on three occasisons to make a trainmaster from styrene and gave up because the plastic kept warping. So hope this one works
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 03, 2014 10:06 am

Meant to say that currently I am waiting for a drawing for a tender for the Z1B to carry that on, thinking about power for this trainmaster. desperate to start drawing and RS1 which is my favourite although the N&W didn't have any and anything else that might come along,
Years ago John Svennson said I should make an N&W Battleship gondola and this has been on my mind for years so that is a big possibilty as well.
Meant to say that the etch cost me around £58.00 total which is A4 sheet or close enough of nickle silver plus special delivery plus VAT included so not too bad I think
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 03, 2014 10:12 am

Another quick point is regarding the Norkin SD45. Having played with this process I now realise how good the Norkin etched model is. Cannot stress enough how much thought went into it and I want to state that on this topic, so top marks to Norkin model
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 am

Looks good, Richard.

I assume this is what you want 8.8mm wheels for. if you go NWSL they do 30' HO wheels which scale to 41" in TT (8.7mm) and I assume 42" is what you are after. They would be .088" profile which may be a bit finer than the KB wheels. I think NWSL will do them with bushings and designed for a 2mm dia axle.

For TM bogies and overall wheelbase between axle centres, I wonder if anything available is exact. I'd given some thought to this as U25Cs have the same truck w/b and I'm fond of them.

Total w/b is 33mm. 5'9" + 7'3" is 14.6mm plus 18.4mm on the trucks.

That is about the same as the bogie on the old BTTB chassis for their 'shortened' BR130 and the BTTB NOHAB. (Not sure if the Tillig NOHAB is the same, never had one to measure.) You might use that, move the centre axle if you wanted to be super accurate on the axle spacing.

But as for how you power those old BTTB bogies, I don't know. The BTTB chassis may not be much use for a hood unit and could be too short.

I wondered if it might be better, rather than using that weird BTTB drivetrain with the inclined shaft, which people say is a bit of a dog, to consider mounting a small Mashima motor in the bogie itself, turning it into a power bogie. Or in the alternate, mounting a motor in the fuel tank so it sits level with the drive shafts that run directly into the trucks?
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Interesting Ben good thing about the Trainmaster hood is that it is quite wide providing my drawing is reasonably correct somewhere around 18mm and also has a high skirt which helps. I am not too good on diesel drives so keep plugging away for me. I got a few things going on over the next few weeks but think it might be good if you come over here one saturday and well bounce some ideas around
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 03, 2014 3:42 pm

I wondered if it might be better, rather than using that weird BTTB drivetrain with the inclined shaft, which people say is a bit of a dog, to consider mounting a small Mashima motor in the bogie itself, turning it into a power bogie. Or in the alternate, mounting a motor in the fuel tank so it sits level with the drive shafts that run directly into the trucks?[/quote]

Well I have this thing for driving all wheels, however a Masima 16/20 mounted in each truck would work leaving the center wheel as a dummy how do feel about two motors
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Sat May 03, 2014 5:13 pm

The BTTB truck is weird in that I think the centre set of wheels is plastic and driven, and the innermost set is metal and needed for pickup but is a dummy axle. The design of the worm gears/ shaft that drives the axles might allow the centre one to be moved a little which gives the asymmetrical spacing? all theory, but I am happy to come over and show you them. I've got one in pieces in a bag. I don't think the design of the truck itself is that bad; ancient technology, but all they have to do is work reliably.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:37 am

IMG_2970.JPG
IMG_2968.JPG
I have been playing around with Auto-Cad again but can never seem to finish anything that I start building---- is this normal ?????
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models