Photo Etching etc

Re: Photo Etching etc

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 am

Al if thats an Erie L1 that would be not too bad to draw up, it looks complicated but not too many angles to worry about, do you have any details of the dimensions
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:37 am

Hi Richard,
That's the one, I've got a rough drawing issued by the railroad back then I'm going by. It's odd enough as a small camelback articulated that I'd like to build one, but wouldn't take 36" radius curves to run. I've got two HP Consolidation chassis with spoked drivers & valve gear set aside, a stock HP tender would pass for now so rolling the boiler is the first step, I'll have to dig out the parts box and look it over again (I probably haven't touched it in two or three years!).
areibel

Postby krokodil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Bernd wrote:Richard,

Very nicely done. I've looked in to etching. I have the Micro Mark etch kit. Haven't used it yet. One thing I discovered. When using an ink jet printer the smallest dot you can get is .007" (.18mm). That's the best resolution dot it will produce.

One thing I wish was that we had etch houses over here to do things like that. If we do I haven't heard of any.

I'll be following along with the rest to watch your progress.

Bernd

Hi Bernd

You have to set your printer to higher resolution ( many printers support resolution around 4800 dpi what gives you a dot of about 0.005 mm, sometimes it is called photoprint). Epson printers deliver excellent result on a transparent overhead sheet ( unfortunatelly slowly disappearing from the market).
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Holy crap Richard that's freaking awesome!!!! If you have any HP drives laying around, maybe you can come up with a drive for this model. Or Brits have something usable?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Alex i think i am going to come up with something like a flat can motor with gearboxes and a universal joint I have had a few pointers from the 3mm guys although articulated locos are a 3mm rareity i fear. I am steering well clear of old HP set ups though
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Bernd wrote:Richard,

Very nicely done. I've looked in to etching. I have the Micro Mark etch kit. Haven't used it yet. One thing I discovered. When using an ink jet printer the smallest dot you can get is .007" (.18mm). That's the best resolution dot it will produce.

One thing I wish was that we had etch houses over here to do things like that. If we do I haven't heard of any.

I'll be following along with the rest to watch your progress.

Bernd

Hi Bernd
I didn't look into self etching yet so am not sure as to the limitations however the smallest etch i can get is around the the metal thickness multiplied by 1.2. So your smallest dot is about as small as you could go anyway
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:42 pm

IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG
Started the cylinders now, and starting to see my mistakes all over the place. The bent bit is a mistake in the measurement on the cad drawing, as is the size of the thch not being deep enough to sit in the frame as I wanted it to.
Attachments
IMG_1888.JPG
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Having said that so, far things are fixable I am not so confident if the motion will work if I can not measure a motion bracket correctly though. At least I have learnt how Carsten and company and Norkin Model's attention to detail pays dividends in the end results and makes me realise how talented some of the guys in this group are
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Keep at it - you'll only get better :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG