Photo Etching etc

Re: Photo Etching etc

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:44 pm

IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
Ok Ben i'll keep it on this topic

Well true to form I started everything back to front with the cab first, mainly to see what it turned out like and to see if it actually fitted together.Surprisingly it did and took twenty minutes
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:52 pm

IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
Then I started on the front and rear chassis
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I should say at this point that I am no mechanical engineer so would value any thoughts you guys might have over any of this stuff that I am trying to do. Good or bad I don't care as long as I can learn something then I am happy, already I can see things I left out of the original cad drawing that I sent to be etched so the whole process needs carefull thought. Also I didn't think about any motorising yet so will welcome ideas on that as well
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Looks Great Richard! I'd say you're ready to give Allen Doherty a run for his money!
Are you going to use Romford drivers or something else, Like HP's? I've got a similar project I've neen dreaming of for several years (an Erie RR 0-8-8-0) but it hasn't gotten past the throw parts in a box stage. I'll be watching closely!
Al
areibel

Postby TTTerrific » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Richard,

Great job! Can't wait to see more as things progress. One question: Those nicely done rivets on the cab; were those embossed or chemically "milled" via the photo etching process? If by etching, could you explain the process. :drool:
TTTerrific

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:17 am

areibel wrote:Looks Great Richard! I'd say you're ready to give Allen Doherty a run for his money!
Are you going to use Romford drivers or something else, Like HP's? I've got a similar project I've neen dreaming of for several years (an Erie RR 0-8-8-0) but it hasn't gotten past the throw parts in a box stage. I'll be watching closely!
Al

Al that is the reason I started this trial project, I have bits of everything that all come to nothing and end up in boxes I wanted to try something that Icould actually finish. I was surprised though how bad a drawing can be that can be successfully etched
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 am

TTTerrific wrote:Richard,

Great job! Can't wait to see more as things progress. One question: Those nicely done rivets on the cab; were those embossed or chemically "milled" via the photo etching process? If by etching, could you explain the process. :drool:

Hi TTT
Firstly I have to thank the 3mm guys here in the UK because through their pages I have had great help and advice as photo etched kis are what I would describe as their speiciality.

After talking about this with them I opted to half etch the roof with the rivet detail on to make things easier for me. The alternative is to half etch the rivet from behind and then punch the rivet through from the rear with a pointed tool, However doing that would mean that the other detal such as the smoke hatches would have to be added as the metal would be full thickness at 15 thou also it would be harder to curve.
So essentially the roof was drawn with the lines smoke hatches and rivets coloured in black (etchers full thickness metal colour) and the rest of the roof coloured red (etchers half thickness metal colour). So as you say the the rivet detail was left on the surface as the rest of the metal and the rest of the roof is essentialy now 7 thou
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:45 am

IMG_1862.JPG

It really is as simple as this photo shows I am amazed that I wasn't doing this years ago when I was younger and much more clever.
Black is the metal at normal thickness -- Red is metal at half thickness (half etch from front) Blue is metal at half thickness (half etch from rear) White is metal completely etched away. When you look at it how simple is it
richardedmonds

Postby krokodil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:39 am

Very nice! Congratulation!
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56 am

IMG_1864.JPG
richardedmonds wrote:
areibel wrote:Looks Great Richard! I'd say you're ready to give Allen Doherty a run for his money!
Al

Hi Al sorry I missed your question I am going to use 3mm Society 12mm wheels not sure but I think they might be a spoke short but I don't think anyone will notice
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models