Peresvet flat car - replacing couplers

Peresvet flat car - replacing couplers

Postby RodTT » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:02 am

I have seen a few mentions on this forum of the Peresvet flat car being a good alternative for a US layout, and I agree it looks the part.

Can anyone tell me how easy the couplers are to remove and replace with Kadees? Do they just unclip or is a certain amount of butchery involved?
RodTT

Re: Peresvet flat car - replacing couplers

Postby CFRiad » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 am

Removing the couplers is very easy. Remove the trucks (one screw each). Pull the couplers to one end until one clears the channel they are in. Disconnect the spring that connects the two couplers. Pull each coupler out. Reinstall the truck. Fifteen seconds (ish).

Where it becomes a bit challenging is installing the knuckle couplers. You will have to mill out on the chassis seats for the coupler boxes to install them at the correct height.
CFRiad

Postby RodTT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 am

By your mention of milling out, I take it that it's metal rather than plastic that needs removing?
RodTT

Postby j p » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:39 am

CFRiad wrote:Removing the couplers is very easy. Remove the trucks (one screw each). Pull the couplers to one end until one clears the channel they are in. Disconnect the spring that connects the two couplers. Pull each coupler out. Reinstall the truck. Fifteen seconds (ish).

Where it becomes a bit challenging is installing the knuckle couplers. You will have to mill out on the chassis seats for the coupler boxes to install them at the correct height.

Why would you like to mill out anything? Use couplers with lower mounting height instead - same as for MTB's SW1200. It was MTL 2001 coupler if I remember correctly.
j p

Return to General Discussion