Pennsylvania Trivia

Talk about anything and everything!

Pennsylvania Trivia

Postby areibel » Tue May 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Shamelessly stolen from another site-

Pennsylvania license plates are white with blue lettering, and contain the helpful phrase "Not The Sylvania With The Vampires".

Hershey, Pennsylvania is the Chocolate Capital of the US - Ray Nagin's claims about New Orleans to the contrary not withstanding.

The first automobile service station was opened in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1913. The first customer was finally served in 1915, after the invention of that cable-thingy that rings a bell when you run over it.

The first computer was built in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1946. It was as big as a house, could not answer complex questions, and its responses were confusing gobbledygook which even experts had a hard time deciphering. Sorta like Michael Moore without the filthy ball cap.

Kennett Square, Pennsylvania is known as the Mushroom Capital of the World. The town produces more fungus per square foot than a truck stop shower stall.

The Declaration of Independence was singed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1776. That's NOT a typo. Seems that after the signing, the Founding Fathers got 'faced and weren't too careful with the fireworks.

KDKA radio in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, produced the first commercial radio broadcast in 1920 which featured Jedediah and Ezekiel, the Wacky Amish Morning Guys.

The Williamsport team won the first Little League World Series, held in Williamsport, Pennsylvania in 1947. Experts agree that the Williamsport team could quite likely have beaten the 1947 Chicago Cubs. Or the Cubs in ANY year, for that matter.

The city of State College, Pennsylvania, was the first city to offer a high school driver's education course, replacing the older method of handing the kid the keys and a six pack and wishing him luck.

In 1859, Edwin Drake drilled the world's first oil well in Titusville, Pennsylvania, thus making possible the women's lubricated wrestling industry.

Johann Behrent built the first American piano in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1775 after a friend bet him $200 that there was nothing more annoying than a hyperactive 3-year-old banging away on a harpsichord.

Philadelphia was the home of Betsy Ross, who made the first American flag, as well as doing the embroidery on George Washington's "If you can read this, the Haggis fell off my horse" jacket.
areibel

Re: Pennsylvania Trivia

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 pm

You also forgot to mention that I-80, which runs from east to west in PA is just over 300 miles long, but can feel like days go by trying to make it across the state.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby Marquette » Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Isn't there also a highway in PA that ends, literally, in the middle of nowhere?

Also, one minor nitpick: the world's first oil well was in Oil Springs, Ontario!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 pm

How about the history of the now former town of Centrailia, PA; which inspired the village of "Valkenvania" in the movie "Nothing But Trouble"?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 am

Personal Pensy trivia - when my family first moved to the US (Newark DE), Philly was the closest major town (that's not the trivia). The Eagles introduced me to and made me fall in love with football. Ah, the days of Randall Cunningham, Reggie White, Buddy Ryan, Chris Carter.....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 am

Marquette wrote:Isn't there also a highway in PA that ends, literally, in the middle of nowhere?

Also, one minor nitpick: the world's first oil well was in Oil Springs, Ontario!

Yup, politics at it's finest! We have 2 pretty much useless interstates, I-84 and I-99. Both were supposed to be parts of bigger systems, but once the politicians got their little sections done they didn't give a hoot if the rest got finished!

And the oil well, it depends on where you live! Bobrka Poland (1854), Wietze Germany (1857) and Oil Springs (1858) all claim the first well along with Titusville PA. But (supposedly) Drake developed the first well with casing like is still used today, so it made drilling feasible for commercial purposes. I live about 30 miles away from the place (now a state park & museum), it's kind of a neat place to visit- and there's a tourist railroad there so you can ride the train too!
areibel

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:29 pm

How about that Strasburg, PA is home to a lot of places train fans hold dear:

1.) The Train Colector's Association has it's HQ there, with a fantastic museum.
2.) The Choo Choo Barn
3.) The Railroad Museum of PA, home to the sole remaining E-7 locomotive
4.) The Strasburg Railroad
CaTTwoman281

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 am

You forgot about the Red Caboose Motel, in Strasburg, PA
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:42 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:You forgot about the Red Caboose Motel, in Strasburg, PA

D'oh!

How about the importance of Altooa, PA; with the PRR Horseshoe Curve?
CaTTwoman281

Return to Off Topic