Paypal issue/trick

Paypal issue/trick

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Yesterday I've discovered some trick in Paypal usage.
If you have a Paypal account, you can have some money just on the account, and you can link you Visa/Mastercard card to your Paypal account also.
For example, if you sell somethink on Ebay, you can have $100 on your Paypal account, for instance.
But what happens if you want to buy something? What if you want to buy something at the price of $300? I.e. more, than you have on your account?
If seller sends you bill in US$, everything will be ok. Paypal will use your money from the account, and will "take" $200 from your card.
But if you buy something in Canada :wink: or in Germany, and the seller sends you the bill in CAD or in Euros, you can get some issue. Paypal (by default) will take ALL the money from your card, and will not use money from the Paypal account.

To use the money from your Paypal account, you should add new currency to your account (CAD, Euro, etc), then convert your money to this currency, and only then you can pay the bill - if so, Paypal will use the money from your account, and take only $200 from your card.

Hope it will be useful for you if you buy something abroad.
Arseny

Re: Paypal issue/trick

Postby j p » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Arseny wrote:Yesterday I've discovered some trick in Paypal usage.
If you have a Paypal account, you can have some money just on the account, and you can link you Visa/Mastercard card to your Paypal account also.
For example, if you sell somethink on Ebay, you can have $100 on your Paypal account, for instance.
But what happens if you want to buy something? What if you want to buy something at the price of $300? I.e. more, than you have on your account?
If seller sends you bill in US$, everything will be ok. Paypal will use your money from the account, and will "take" $200 from your card.
But if you buy something in Canada :wink: or in Germany, and the seller sends you the bill in CAD or in Euros, you can get some issue. Paypal (by default) will take ALL the money from your card, and will not use money from the Paypal account.

To use the money from your Paypal account, you should add new currency to your account (CAD, Euro, etc), then convert your money to this currency, and only then you can pay the bill - if so, Paypal will use the money from your account, and take only $200 from your card.

Hope it will be useful for you if you buy something abroad.

For me Paypal always takes the balance first no matter what currency EUR/USD/DKK. It probably depends on the settings.
j p

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:27 pm

j p wrote:For me Paypal always takes the balance first no matter what currency EUR/USD/DKK. It probably depends on the settings.

Of course, it depends on the settings; if you have the "additional" currency on your account, identical to the currency of the seller's bill, everything will be ok.
Also, if you have enough money on your account (more than the sum of the bill) everything will be ok too, Paypal will convert it automatically.
But if you don't have enough money on the Paypal account...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks, that's useful.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion