Painting Question

Painting Question

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:02 pm

I've got one of Ingo's brass cabooses finished (almost!) and I'm ready to paint. But I'm using Scalecoat (water based) paint and I was wondering if anyone else has experience with painting it on brass? Should I use a primer first or do you think it would be safe to just shoot away?
Thanks,
Al
areibel

Re: Painting Question

Postby Rob M » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:35 pm

I haven't used that particular type of paint but I prefer to prime everything I paint. It is an extra step or two but it's easier to do it now.
Rob M

Postby CSD » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:52 pm

I also agree. A good tip is to wash the brass with vinegar too. It cleans off finger prints and will give the brass a bit of tooth for the paint.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Thanks guys, Primer it is!
I've had this together for probably a year, it's time to finish it. I made two mistakes though- I soldered the roof on before I glazed the windows, so I got it apart the other night and figured it was better to paint before I glazed. I think I can use some ACC to put the roof back on, or go real light with the already tinned surfaces.
Problem #2 should be fixed tonight. The bolsters are folded brass with a nut mounted inside. When I was assembling it I managed to get a blob of solder directly into the nut :wall: I was trying to mount a set of Rob's express trucks under it (the EL used them on some of their cabooses) and couldn't get the screw to go!
areibel

Postby j p » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:49 pm

A drill bit (smaller diameter than the screw, of course) may help to remove the solder from the nut, then renew the thread by a screw tap.
j p

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:00 pm

To follow up on what Mark said, do yourself a favor and purchase some rubber exam room gloves, once you get the brass out of the vinegar, wash it like a resin kit, let it dry, warm it up with the wife's blow dryer and primer it, than let it sit for a few days. Now you can touch it again (although continuing to wear the gloves until you're done painting is better).
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:16 pm

And post some pics man!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Well, maybe if it's not "Wall of Shame" quality when I get finished with it!
I can shoot the primer once I get the bolsters soldered back on (rattle can), but it'll have to wait a couple days for the dungeon to warm up before I can fire up the little compressor and paint the color. I've had the decals for a while, so if I can get some grey and maroon on it it'll be purty.
areibel

Postby railtwister » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm

We used to use a toothbrush with a scouring powder (Bonami or Comet) to clean the model first, then let it soak for a while in some vinegar in a glass bowl, then wash off the vinegar with warm soapy water (Dawn detergent), followed by liberal rinsing with plain water, and then let it air dry thoroughly. I used to like to use a zinc chromate primer, (Tempo Outboard Motor paint) which was a sort of lime green in color, using a light coat that was semi-transparent (if it's completely opaque, it's probably too thick and is obscuring detail). Don't use auto body primer, it has too much surface filler in it. Let the primer dry thoroughly, and the add the paint color in very light coats, so as to not have it attack the primer.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Return to Prototypes / Models