painting models

painting models

Postby tomvanhoy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I would like to find the proper color paint to use for the C&EI, Chicago & Eastern Illinois. They had a blue with orange detailing in the 50's or so that I would like to reproduce on an HP E7. Are there any sites that index the color with a current paint manufacturer? Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom
tomvanhoy

Re: painting models

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

I do not know if it helps any, but from the C&EI color diesel photos we have seen, it looks really close to the orange and blue that the Jersey Central Railroad used on their Baldwin diesels.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 am

"Are there any sites that index the color "
See if there's a C&EI historical society or a C&EI modelers forum. Things like that are known to those that are interested , you just gotta find where they hang out......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:24 am

i am a member of the C&EI historical society. there is a C&EI yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CEI- ... s/messages

they say the colour is 'illini blue and orange' and based on the university of Illinois colours at that time. today U of illinois apparently uses darker colours. this blue is sometimes refrred to as 'Whipporwill blue', from the name of one of the trains the scheme was designed for.

scalecoat GN orange is a good match for the orange. it's said that Des Plaines Hobbies had Scalecoat do a custom C&EI blue. could not hurt to approach them and ask if they have any in stock.

on C&EI, there are few resources online. anyone wanting to paint a loco needs to get ed de rouin's C&EI in Color. i suggest going to arizona hobbies, he is both good on price and reliable. i write as a satisfied customer, tell him i sent you.

i imagine chances of getting TT decals from existing commercial sources for its locos are non existent. if anyone wants to get sets done, i am happy to buy three or four sets.

if you go a-trying to find a match for 'C&EI blue', it is worth being very careful because they used three blues. the first was the blue in the blue/orange scheme.

then due to their run-through passenger train operation with the L&N , they painted passenger cars in L&N blue and this blue was then used in a late 50s 'austerity' scheme on E, FP and F units, with gold lettering. microscale do a set for cab units in this scheme in HO. it is a much deeper blue, perhaps similar to what the Georgia and West Point Route used as their first austerity scheme.

post 1967 there was jenks blue from the Missouri Pacific which people probably know of already.

ben
Last edited by scaro on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scaro

Postby Rich B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 am

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint is a very useful site, especially the tool where you can pick a colour from a picture. Although pictures can deteriorate, if you can get the white balance fixed it's a good start.
Rich B

Postby tomvanhoy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks guys, I will check them all out this weekend!
Tom
tomvanhoy

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:09 am

I would also google "Chicago & Eastern Illinois RAL". I did that recently for Chicago's Rock Island. I had to dig a bit into the various links but ultimately I found what I was looking for - it's a paint available from Floquil.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:04 am

ConducTTor wrote:I would also google "Chicago & Eastern Illinois RAL".

By the way:
Do you know what RAL means?
It means "REICHs-Ausschuß für Lieferbedingungen" (imperial board for delivery specifications). :shh:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby j p » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 am

LVG1 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:I would also google "Chicago & Eastern Illinois RAL".

By the way:
Do you know what RAL means?
It means "REICHs-Ausschuß für Lieferbedingungen" (imperial board for delivery specifications). :shh:

What is wrong with that? Many of us have "German Imperial Railway" models on our layouts.
If you cannot find the correct color in RAL, try Pantone instead. Pantone has more colors and it is used by the automotive industry.
j p

Postby LVG1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:20 pm

j p wrote:What is wrong with that? Many of us have "German Imperial Railway" models on our layouts.

After World War II, the (western) Allies tried to completely erase the term "Reich" from people's awareness and so also from all official designations. But RAL has survived as an official designation even until today. So that's anything but ordinary.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Return to General Discussion