Overhead wires

Re: Overhead wires

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:49 pm

In one of the older issues of Model Railroader they cover building functional overhead wires, for HO, S, and O gauges. It would not be hard to proportion 1:87 to 1:120 though.

I am wanting to say that it was from mid 1955, but I need to dig through the collection to find out.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:57 am

member13 wrote:CSD, not knockin your work just curious about the height of those poles. They seem a bit too tall.

For poles that span multiple tracks a taller pole is used due to extra supports that are needed. When the picture was taken I had not yet put in to those supports. Here is a picture of what is missing and a single arm pole as well.
Attachments
SOM__467.JPG.jpeg
SOM__467.JPG.jpeg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 403 times
SOM__460.JPG.jpeg
SOM__460.JPG.jpeg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Rich B » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 am

I've got to decide what to do about the overhead on Stromallee...

I like the look of Sommerfeldt's masts, but the support arms are not all that representative of the prototype, especially DR(DDR) electrification. There's no separate pull on or push off assembly for starters, and no attempt at registration arms.

What are my options other than Hobbex, Sommerfeldt or Viessmann? I'm leaning towards buying Sommerfeldt masts and insulators then making my own support arms and catenary. If there's an easier option for some good looking results, I'd love to know! I'm planning on DDR era overhead, as in the picture below.

Rich B

Postby CSD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:03 am

I started with Sommerfelt, but switched to Viessmann for ease of installation, availability and they just look better. To quantify "look better": The Sommerfelt large masts are plastic that slips over a metal frame That I suppose is supposed to be hidden by it. It is not, so I feel the Viessmann masts look better. The installation book that Sommerfelt has is very useful, however. It gives a lot of information about how actual OH line is installed, if you can get past the mediocre translations.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Rich B » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks Mark. The Viessmann masts are a different design though, not the type I've seen on the lines radiating from Dresden on on the Rübelandbahn (horizontal cross members) , so I've less of a choice. Their tower masts will be useful though, as they seem to have diagonal cross members everywhere.

I have the Sommerfeldt book, although the TT section is not extensive the general principles can be brought through with a bit of work. I also have the advantage in being able to draw on the experience of my brother in law, who has some good experience of scratch building overhead- this is one of his layouts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagworth/
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:56 am

Off topic but what scale is your brother in law's work (a lot of the weathering is excellent)?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:25 pm

CSD wrote:
I have had problems with supply from Viessman.

Is the Viessman catenary equipment readily available? EuroTrain Hobby? :?:
milwrd1

Postby CSD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 pm

milwrd1 wrote:
CSD wrote:
I have had problems with supply from Viessman.

Is the Viessman catenary equipment readily available? EuroTrain Hobby? :?:

That was an old statement from before I found German distributers. ETH has it, but you will be waiting a long time for any out of stock items as he waits months between orders. Try modelbahnwelt24.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Rich B » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Off topic but what scale is your brother in law's work (a lot of the weathering is excellent)?

It's 00, so 1:76 scale.
Rich B

Postby j p » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 pm

member13 wrote:CSD, not knockin your work just curious about the height of those poles. They seem a bit too tall.

It depends on the number of tracks. Some of the real CSD poles were even taller.

j p

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion