Over-sized or under-sized?

Over-sized or under-sized?

Postby Arseny » Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 am

There is very few amount of American-style scenery for TT.
Did anybody try to use N- or H0-scale buildings for TT? There are a lot of different American industry or city buildings in H0 and N too, maybe we can use some?..

What is your opinion, what scale is better to try? N or H0?
For example, Peresvet use H0-scale railway station on their layout and it looks nice...
Arseny

Re: Over-sized or under-sized?

Postby railtwister » Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 am

Years ago, somebody (it may have been Hallmark) marketed several built-up buildings commemorating a 1999 Hallmark made-for-TV movie called "Sarah Plain and Tall" starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken. The structures looked to me to be too small for HO, yet too big for N, so I bought a couple, figuring they might be useful for TT. The one that stands out best in my memory was a country store, but there were several different ones in the series. Unfortunately, they were a limited series even back then, and are rarely seen today, but might show up on Ebay if you are vigilant. Pola made a small freight house in their N scale line that had freight doors that were close to 13/16" square (about 97" in TT), so even though the overall size of the building is only pretty small at 1-1/2"W x 2-1/4"L x1-1/8"H, it is usable for a small shed in TT. It does have one small door 1/2" high on a small attached lean-to about the size of a phone booth or utility closet, but this door could be covered with a taller one to be more believable. Someone, maybe Pola, also made an N scale version of what looks like the Atlas HO Passenger Station that looked like it might be usable for TT, although I never purchased or even tried to measure one of those. Both of these buildings were once pretty common and can still be seen occasionally at train shows, The key thing to look for is door and window sizes, in addition to overall height of the building. Frequently model RR structures are selectively compressed, so length and width dimensions are less critical. Those who have worked in S scale will recognize the technique of adding a foundation and taller doors to a structure intended for HO scale to make them more suitable for S, and I think the same principles could apply to an N scale structure to adapt it to TT.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL, USA
Last edited by railtwister on Sun May 01, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Maybe some of the Auhagen tt stuff can be modified to look more American?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun May 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 01, 2011 1:59 pm

I see. Time to start kit bashing...............
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun May 01, 2011 2:33 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I see. Time to start kit bashing...............

Maybe. :) But to start KIT bashing I should have a kit to start from... :)
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 01, 2011 2:48 pm

LOL true true. I guess it's time to simply start bashing then :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:41 pm

We have used a mix of stuff so far. We had HO scale portals on the temporary module that was stolen when I was still in exile in connecticut, and we have used a mix of HO and N trees with good results. I do have a few N kits that I plan on using for forced perspective when we rebuild the shed that we intend on putting the TT layout in. (Well..... it actually will be added onto and made to resemble a small train station)

In the right hands, HO and N scale stuff can do wonders on a TT layout.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby emckay7067 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm

On my last TT layout I used N scale items in the back, TT items in the middle, and small HO items at the front.

My layout was about 24 inches wide all around the room. I divided that into three 8 inch depths. The front used HO items, the center was TT items (mostly scratch built) and the back section used large N scale items. I thought it came out well.

Here is a link with some photos.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/570623353LSWCAy
emckay7067

Postby scaro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:09 pm

hello elmer, those are good photos. thank you for sharing them. in the chesapeake and atlantic shots, who is the cylindrical covered hopper done by? that's a wagon i have not seen in TT before.

ben
scaro

Next

Return to General Discussion