Over-sized or under-sized?

Re: Over-sized or under-sized?

Postby Arseny » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:39 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Doing some digging on the web I found a site that indicated that the Pola #300 was the same as:
AHM #5841 ( Rockville Station )
Atlas #28xx ( Malden Station )
Model Power #1524 ( Malden Station )
Pola #300 ()

The Model Power 1524 is still available. I am ordering one in to see if it is the same size.
Should know in a week.

It's very interesting, Bill; please, keep us informed about it.
If we can use some of these N scale stations in TT, it would be great thing.
Arseny

Postby Richard-B » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:57 am

Q: What size is a building?
A: It depends....

IMHO... the only real scaling factor in buildings is door size... which is directly related to the size (in TT scale) of the people or vehicles that use them.

In non-residential buildings, window sizes vary greatly... although window panes need to be adjusted to reasonable sizes.

Brickwork also needs to be within an acceptable range... We are used to so-called standard brick, but there are actually many sizes. The more obvious the brickwork, the more obvious the issue. Stonework, on the other hand, is almost always acceptable.

In a multi-story building... you can often section the floors horizontally without destroying a lot of the detail.

To use a single story HO-scale building, consider 'burying' the first floor 1/4in (~6mm) into the base plate, which will cause the door heights to be almost exact for TT. You can often reduce the HO door width to something more reasonable for TT by building a different door frame... or even a sidelight.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Another find in a 'N-Scale' collection.
20160721 Gas Station.jpg
An interesting gas Station, here shown with a few TT-Scale vehicles and a Preiser figure. Does not look too bad.

20160721 Station Side.jpg
From the side it looks a bit large. It is clearly not HO scale as the HO Scale figure on the left shows. It appears a bit large for TT-Scale. The Preiser figure is six feet tall. The door looks too large but measuring from the bottom of the door frame to the top shows about 6 1/2'. Not too bad.

There is no indication as to manufacturer. If used in a location that is only visible from the front, I think it will be fine.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Richard-B » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm

railtwister wrote:Years ago, somebody (it may have been Hallmark) marketed several built-up buildings commemorating a 1999 Hallmark made-for-TV movie called "Sarah Plain and Tall" starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken. The structures looked to me to be too small for HO, yet too big for N, so I bought a couple, figuring they might be useful for TT. The one that stands out best in my memory was a country store,
Yes... Hallmark. I've been fond of these since they came out.

The one downside is that they seem to vary in scale... since they were built for the Christmas scene trade, I suspect they were built to 'box size'... not a fixed proportion to the prototype.

The Country Store is also my favorite, and is currently undergoing a roof replacement to replace the rather coarse plastic shakes with scale shingles... as well as removal of the Xmas decoration.
Hallmark 1994-ParkleysGeneralStore.jpg
Hallmark General Store

Hallmark 1994-PrarieHome.jpg
Hallmark Prairie Home

Hallmark 1994-MainHome.jpg
Hallmark Maine Home
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Doing some digging on the web I found a site that indicated that the Pola #300 was the same as:
Pola #300 ()

The Model Power 1524 is still available. I am ordering one in to see if it is the same size.
Should know in a week.

The Model Power #1524 Malden Station showed up today.
20160623 Kit Roofs.jpg

Here is a picture of the kit roof from the Atlas HO Scale Kit(on the top left), compared to the Model Power Roof (bottom left) compared to the in the bag Atlas N-Scale model (on the right).
The Model Power kit is clearly in between HO and N-Scale, thus very use able for us.

The one issue with the kit is that the roof casting is warped. This could be carefully straightened out with a bit of warm water. Gluing it onto the finished model would also help straighten it out.
I was thinking of making a new plain roof without any dormers. It would be a much different model and probably disguise its origins a bit. I could also install finer shingles.

I am going to order up another kit or two for kit bashing.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 am

Some experiment and some bragging for you.

Pola #300 ()

The Model Power 1524 is still available.

I tried to buy and use Model Power 1524 "Malden Station". And I asked my friend Jakob to paint it.

DSCN5132.JPG
DSCN5133.JPG
IMG_8357_s.jpg
IMG_8358_s.jpg
IMG_8362_s.jpg

It really looks like TT-scale one, so I think we can use it in TT.
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 am

And then I decided to try some other Model Power buildings.
And I concluded that they can also work for TT. In fact they are a bit bigger than N.
I did not raise it or do some other modifications, the kits were assembled just "as is".

(The only modification: if you want to make the gates open, you are to cut it into two pieces; they are made as one detail)

Fire House, No 1511

IMG_8345_s.jpg
IMG_8346_s.jpg
IMG_8355_s.jpg

Maybe the side shed is too small for the car, but generally I beleive it is good for TT.
The main gate is big enough to put the fire truck inside.

But the kit quality is poor. Some details need a lot of alignment, and some angles still are not square.
(The bell tower firstly)
But, nevertheless, I like it and I think I'll use it.

Now I want to try the "Railroad hotel" and "Coverall Painting plant".
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:44 pm

And now, Model Power 1566 - N scale "Coverall Paints" factory.
But I decided to assemble it as generic factory, not chemical one.

DSCN5249.JPG
DSCN5250.JPG

I decided to name it "Worumbo Mill", name for "11/22/63" novel by Stephen King

DSCN5251.JPG

"Where it should have been was the vast Dickensian bulk of Worumbo Mills and Weaving, and it was in full operation. I could hear the thunder of the dyers and dryers, the shat-HOOSH, shat-HOOSH of the huge weaving flats that had once filled the second floor (I had seen pictures of these machines, tended by women who wore kerchiefs and coveralls, in the tiny Lisbon Historical Society building on upper Main Street). Whitish-gray smoke poured from three tall stacks that had come down during a big windstorm in the eighties."
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:57 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:The Model Power #1524 Malden Station showed up today.
The attachment 20160623 Kit Roofs.jpg is no longer available

Here is a picture of the kit roof from the Atlas HO Scale Kit(on the top left), compared to the Model Power Roof (bottom left) compared to the in the bag Atlas N-Scale model (on the right).
The Model Power kit is clearly in between HO and N-Scale, thus very use able for us.

This little beauty showed up in a collection at the store.
Lilac Junction.jpg
Thinking of picking it up and adding it to the layout to add a bit of colour. Would call it Lilac Junction.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to General Discussion