Over-sized or under-sized?

Re: Over-sized or under-sized?

Postby emckay7067 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 pm

That is an HO model. Elmer.
emckay7067

Postby railtwister » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Elmer,

Does this mean you are no longer doing TT scale and have switched to an HO layout?

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:54 pm

emckay7067 wrote:On my last TT layout..........Here is a link with some photos.......
http://rides.webshots.com/album/570623353LSWCAy

It's hard to imagine that such things exist in tt. Just phenomenal........
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm

hi Elmer. that is a really nice setup. i noticed north american style crossing signs in one picture. were they built

by you or those someone sell them. joe
jmass

Postby Arseny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:35 am

emckay7067 wrote:On my last TT layout I used N scale items in the back, TT items in the middle, and small HO items at the front.

My layout was about 24 inches wide all around the room. I divided that into three 8 inch depths. The front used HO items, the center was TT items (mostly scratch built) and the back section used large N scale items. I thought it came out well.

Here is a link with some photos.

Good idea, I was thinking about it. As I know, photographers often use this technique.

There is a photo I really like:

I see some cars there and one truck (Ford TT?). Are they TT-scale too?! Or they are H0-scale?
I like TT-scale cars... :wink:

It seems to me that three identical houses at the left side are, as you said, in different scales. The first and the second are H0 and the third is N-scale? Am I right?

And I like the factory building on this photo:

What scale is it?
Arseny

Postby emckay7067 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

Arseny wrote:
emckay7067 wrote:On my last TT layout I used N scale items in the back, TT items in the middle, and small HO items at the front.

My layout was about 24 inches wide all around the room. I divided that into three 8 inch depths. The front used HO items, the center was TT items (mostly scratch built) and the back section used large N scale items. I thought it came out well.

Here is a link with some photos.

Good idea, I was thinking about it. As I know, photographers often use this technique.

There is a photo I really like:

I see some cars there and one truck (Ford TT?). Are they TT-scale too?! Or they are H0-scale?
I like TT-scale cars... :wink:

It seems to me that three identical houses at the left side are, as you said, in different scales. The first and the second are H0 and the third is N-scale? Am I right?

And I like the factory building on this photo:

What scale is it?

Arseny - About the upper photo:
The cars and trucks are HO scale. All the buildings in this photo except the small building on the upper bluff are also HO scale. Most are the Woodland Scenics metal kits except for the very first brick building on the left. The camera is right at the front edge of the layout, thus, this is in the HO section. I think the Woodland Scenics building kits are a little undersized for HO scale so that is why I used them.

The factory on the left in the bottom photo was a kit that could be built in either HO or N scale because it had two different size doors provided with it. I built it as N scale because it is back against the wall, in the N scale part.

The term for building things this way is called 'Forced Perspective'. It fools the eye when looking at the layout.

Joe- The crossing signs are scratch built from Evergreen styrene strips and the lettering was printed on paper from a computer, the cut out and glued to it. The one that has the flashing lights in the upper photo here is a brass tube & wire and uses LED's.

railtwister wrote:Hi Elmer,
Does this mean you are no longer doing TT scale and have switched to an HO layout?
Bill in FL

I am still 'doing' some TT stuff but not as much. My present layout is HO. I'm no spring chicken any more and my eyes are starting to give me trouble. I had to switch to something bigger.

Elmer.
emckay7067

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:26 pm

[quote="railtwister"Someone, maybe Pola, also made an N scale version of what looks like the Atlas HO Passenger Station that looked like it might be usable for TT, although I never purchased or even tried to measure one of those.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL, USA[/quote]

One of these models came into my hands yesterday. I have been comparing it to both the Atlas HO Scale and N-Scale versions. It is a direct knock-off of the Atlas HO-Scale model. It may have been an authorized kit but it is an odd size. It is too small for HO and too big for N-Scale. Looks to be around 75% the size of the HO Scale model so more than close enough for TT-Scale. The doors are closer to N-Scale but could be replaced.

Unfortunately this is an assembled model so I am going to have to live with the small doors and upside down windows. If I can find a kit or two, I will replace the doors and repaint the model.
For now it will be a fine standin model.

The kit was Pola #300.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:One of these models came into my hands yesterday.
Looks to be around 75% the size of the HO Scale model so more than close enough for TT-Scale. The doors are closer to N-Scale but could be replaced.
The kit was Pola #300.

It's very interesting.
I see it available on Ebay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pola-300-Americ ... 1297150818
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:01 pm

20160715 Pola Station.jpg

Here is a picture of the model with figures from three scales: HO on the left, TT in the middle and N-Scale on the right.
The N-Scale figure is way too small for the model. The HO Scale figure is too tall.
The TT-Scale figure looks right.

I think can fix the doors by making a styrene door to put over top of the ones there.
The parts are a bit too well glued together to easily get apart.

Now to find a some kits.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Doing some digging on the web I found a site that indicated that the Pola #300 was the same as:
AHM #5841 ( Rockville Station )
Atlas #28xx ( Malden Station )
Model Power #1524 ( Malden Station )
Pola #300 ()

The Model Power 1524 is still available. I am ordering one in to see if it is the same size.
Should know in a week.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion