outdoor tt

outdoor tt

Postby jmass » Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 pm

well after finally geting to see the house, i have absolutely no room for a layout in the house. i will have use of the garage which will leave me enough space for an 8/4 standard layout. this not being g scale i was wondering if anyone else has run tt in cold enviroments. i could put in a space heater but cant be running it all the time. how does tillig/ roco/ piko hold up to extreme temprature changes. joe
jmass

Re: outdoor tt

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 pm

No idea but I would keep the trains inside and just bring them out when I want to run them.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Arseny

Postby CSD » Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Major changes in temperature will destroy your layout. Condensation will get into the mechanisms and rust them. Then there is the dust. Expansion and contraction will take care of the rest. Unless you live somewhere where the temperature is fairly constant I would not put train stuff in the garage! Build a shelf layout or a fold down. No one says you have to stick to the old spaghetti bowl.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 pm

CSD wrote:Build a shelf layout or a fold down.

I totally agree with this.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 am

unfortunatly, a shelf layout is out of the question. every wall has either a protusion or an stairway or doors that i cant block.my only option would be a folding table that i would have to remove any scenery every time i use it. on the bright side. the yard has a perfect area for a modest g scale set up . :(
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 18, 2012 12:27 pm

I think if I were in your situation I would do some modules (like Bill's for example in the TTTracks topic). Add removable supports on the sides so they can be stacked without smashing scenery and stack them in a closet or a corner. Whenever I have a chance I'd pull them out and set em up for the day - like in the living room.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Fri May 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I would suggest a module too. As for me, I have very few space, so I took a 40*60 cm plate and I'll build my TT-scale station and town on it.

Also I can suggest you to make "lifting" layout, lifting up to the ceiling, by pulleys.
Arseny

Return to General Discussion