Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby Bernd » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:37 pm

I’ve been contemplating the building of a TT scale layout for quite some time now. The original plan was to build the first section and see if I could get it published in one of the major railroad publications. I have instead decided to do an SBS (step by step) and post it to two other forums besides TTnut, Rail Line Forum and Model Railroad Hobbyist.

It’ll be a “sectional layout”. By sectional I mean a part of one scene will be completely built before the second section is started. It will not be based on any modular concept design. I don’t plan on being able to add on to other modules. It will be a strictly stand alone railroad.

I already have two plans on paper for the first two sections. The first section will be based on Chuck Yungkurth’s Gum Stump & Snowshoe Railroad published in the April 1966 issue of Model Railroader. The first and second section will represent a logging line. The third will be a coal mining operation.

I’m going to try a light weight construction technique so the sections can be taken to local trains shows for display.

So let the fun begin.

The project begins in the next post.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby Bernd » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 pm

I started out with a sheet of 2” thick blue foam.

I used an 8 foot long piece of wood as a guide to cut a piece a little over one foot wide.

Next I used the table saw to square up the hand cut side and make it exactly 12” wide.

I have two pieces clamped to the sides to measure how wide to make the spacers and end pieces.

I made a jig for spacing small 1” X 6” spacers that will be used to space the inner support pieces.

The first one is spaced in one thickness of the end piece. Then each subsequent piece is spaced one width thickness of the inner support pieces. It is glued and nailed with 5/8” long brads.

The first row of spacers have been glued and nailed down. I also marked the boards for proper assembly.

Using a pair of side cutters I cut the brads sticking out the other side off.

I then used a Dremel tool with a drum sander to bring down the ends of the brads flush with the wood.

All the spacers have been glued and nailed down.

The first end piece is installed using a square for proper alignment.

Brads are driven in at a 45 degree angle to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries.

The two end pieces and one side piece have been glued and nailed in place.

The inner support pieces have been glued and nailed in place. The pieces are 2” shorter in height so the foam seats inside the frame.

Test fitting the foam top.

The second side is glued and nailed.

I discovered I'll need to cut holes in the frame to be able to wire it. That'll be next.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby tomvanhoy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks for the photos. Am very interested in your project. Keep up the good work!
Tom VH
tomvanhoy

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:53 am

I always enjoy these types of threads. Thanks for sharing!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:16 am

Thanks guys. Hopefully the project will keep moving at a snails pace at least.

My main purpose is to be able to take this scale to local shows and show that there is another scale between N and HO. I've been contemplating this idea for a bit of time now. :think: :thinking:

If things seemed to have slowed down, give me a prod every now and them to keep me going. :problem: :grin:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby gerhard_k » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Bernd -

What type and thickness of plywood are you using? I'm also interested in lightweight construction for a sectional/modular layout, but the thin plywoods available at the big-box stores seem to warp easily and have poor structural integrity, and contrary to popular forum advice, the 2 "local" lumberyards seem no better.

Richard-B uses 1/4" (6mm) birch ply, which I don't find around here. True marine plywood is nice stuff, but pretty spendy, although I guess in the big scheme of things, maybe worth it.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Bernd » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:14 pm

gerhard_k wrote:Bernd -

What type and thickness of plywood are you using? I'm also interested in lightweight construction for a sectional/modular layout, but the thin plywoods available at the big-box stores seem to warp easily and have poor structural integrity, and contrary to popular forum advice, the 2 "local" lumberyards seem no better.

Richard-B uses 1/4" (6mm) birch ply, which I don't find around here. True marine plywood is nice stuff, but pretty spendy, although I guess in the big scheme of things, maybe worth it.

I'm using a material called Revolution Ply. It's 3/16" thick. I got it a Lowe's home center.

It does warp slightly just sitting there. I cut everything to size and glued it together. The next day when the glue was dry I painted it with some cheap rattle can primer, both inside and out. It's been over a month now that this has been assembled with no sign of warp. Since this the first time I've used this wood I can't tell you what it will do over the long haul. But from what I've seen so far I think it'll work. Only time will tell.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Some more progress in getting the frame roughed in. I cut holes in the bottom for access to the bottom of the foam for wiring and turnout controls.

A little more info on materials I plan on using. I'm going to use my resin cast track and I'm going to give scratchbuilding turnouts a try. I plan on controlling them manually. I have an idea, but the layout needs to be at the point of them being installed. Who knows I may change my mind by the time I get to that point.

I laid out the holes by drawing lines where the stiffeners on the inside are. Then I made a 1" wide piece and a 2" wide piece for locating cutting lines.

Then I drilled 1/2" dia. holes at the corners and then used a saber saw to cut out the holes.

All the holes have been cut.

Believe it or not that is the blue foam. The flash washed it out. With the foam in place the whole frame has become very rigid. It's a little "twisty" without it.

Bottom view. I have nice access to the inside now.

I had to add some end pieces to keep the foam from being pushed down at the ends.

I think the next thing on the agenda is laying out the track diagram.

for those of you who do not know what the Gum Stump & Snowshoe layout looked like that Chuck Yungkurth had designed here is a drawn picture of it courtesy of Model Railroader. It was in the April 1966 issue.

Just imagine it with a forest on it.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:38 am

Hey I've seen that picture somewhere....cool. As for turnouts, you do know that Fast Tracks has them right? http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Track ... s/2410.htm
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:25 am

ConducTTor wrote:Hey I've seen that picture somewhere....cool. As for turnouts, you do know that Fast Tracks has them right? http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Track ... s/2410.htm

I may have posted it before somewhere.

Yup, know that Fast-Track has the jig. May just spring for one to give it a try.

Bernd
Bernd

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans