Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby Bernd » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Got enthused today to try an idea for track laying using the track jig.

I first soldered one rail to one side of the PC ties.

Using Code 55 rail joiners I soldered the rail to the turnout diverging rail for a nice tight connection.

Using a homemade roller track gage I soldered the second rail to the other side of the PC tie.

I should have made the rail longer to get to the point of the upper level turnout, but I was in a hurry to try out this method. Seems to work pretty good. Contemplating as to whether to unsolder the rail and use a longer version or just solder more rail to this section. Time will tell.

That's it for now.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:48 pm

"That's all for now"?
I hope you realize you did more modeling in those couple pics than I've done in the last two or three weeks!
I hate spring!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

areibel wrote:"That's all for now"?
I hope you realize you did more modeling in those couple pics than I've done in the last two or three weeks!
I hate spring!

I can do you one better. That's the most modeling I've done in the last month. Had one of those listless times in life where nothing inspired me. Not even working on house projects. I do want to have this module somewhat further along by the December Tiger Tracks Show.

I made a little video just to prove I can lay track and build turnouts. Much to my own surprise. :wtf:

I'm inspired now. Hope it rains tomorrow like they said in the weather cast.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby dwyaneward » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Nice work there Bernd
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby oldtrainguy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Love how well the car goes through the turnout!

I also like your home made track gauge.

Any chance you might make a few to sell?
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby Bernd » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 am

oldtrainguy wrote:Love how well the car goes through the turnout!

I also like your home made track gauge.

Any chance you might make a few to sell?

It only took several false attempts at building the turnout before I got one the worked this well.

I've talked to Tom Dempsey from Clover House about making some. He has some ideas for what he would like to see. It just a matter of time. The one I made was quite labor intensive since it's made from three separate parts and assembled. Trying to keep the tolerances on three separate parts accurate when assembled took a bit of time. I do have an idea of modifying my Sherline mill to be able to use it as a lathe to make track gage rollers. I won't get into that until I get the track jigs finished first on the mill.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:34 am

dwyaneward wrote:Nice work there Bernd

Thanks Dwayne. Much appreciated. More to come as I work on this module/diorama.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:09 pm

I haven't done much on the module since the last time I posted. I did start to make the track going up the grade from one piece of rail instead of two pieces joined together. As I was doing the second rail I just couldn't get the grade and cured properly to give a nice flow. I needed to move the turnout back about 1/2" to 3/4". I got a bit frustrated with it all and have decided I need to redesign the base structure to make it out of more durable material = ALL WOOD. And use Styrofoam for the land shapes and not as the base. Way to soft for track work.

So off to surf the net for some answers. I've been following Bill Dixon's thread on the TT scale module build. Since I don't see the possibility of ever connecting with the TT scale modules built to Bill specs I'm going to design my own. I found a blog by Marshall Stull (LINK:http://smallmr.com/wordpress/2016/01/) I also checked out the N Scale Free-Mo site for ideas. There is also a thread on Rail Line Forums posted by James Koretsky New England Free-Mo (LINK: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37524. Now there's a sturdy modular set up. I'm also following a series of videos being put out by Joey Richard on building a portable layout. Here is his first three videos.

So it's time to get some new materials together and start over. I'll still be using the same track plan, just wood this time and not Styrofoam.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Good links there Bernd :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:52 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Good links there Bernd :thumbup:

Just trying to do my part in helping with diverse ideas that'll further this scale. Since there aren't any TT modelers right in my area of up state New York I've decided to build more of a portable layout using modular techniques. Let's see what happens.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans