Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby TinGoat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:25 pm

More spike stuff...

I think that there are several factors.

Length

Thickness

Head

Ties, roadbed and sub-roadbed.

The length will determine if you are just spiking the tie or penetrating through to the roadbed or even into the sub-roadbed. The ties themselves don't usually hold the spikes very well and you need to penetrate the roadbed.

Cork, Homasote or pine roadbed will hold spikes well.

There's the slower process of pre-drilling all of the spike holes but it may save you the aggravation of bending the spikes.

A thick spike will likely crack and split the ties unless you pre-drill all the holes.

For me, personally, the most objectionable quality of a spike is the size of the head.

The Micro Engineering Small Spikes that I have been using are fine for On30 Code 83 rail.

But I think they are too big for TT on code 70 or code 55 rail.

I wouldn't want the spikes to be any shorter, but I want the heads to be smaller.
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby Bernd » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:12 pm

In order to keep track of my posts I'll link all my related posts to this thread subject here.

In order to learn a bit about scenery before attempting it on this module I returned my attention to a mini-diorama I tested my resin cast ties on. I was going to leave it flat.

http://www.ttnut.com/mini-diorama-t2626.html

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:21 pm

I had a bit of modeling ambition this morning. Here is what I did.

Way back when, in one of the leading modeling magazines there was an article on using ceiling tail for stratified rock formation. Having some leftover tiles from a project I thought I'd give it a try.

I did a small sample to see how it would work out. I stacked and glued four pieces and waited a day for the glue to dry. This morning I "slapped" some colored soupy casting plaster. The results are shown below. Still needs some scribed lines yet.

I started to stack and glue loose pieces on the module.

These are the ceiling tiles I used. They come in 2 feet by 4 feet. The one in the picture is a cut off piece.

Stay tuned more to come.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby areibel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Looks good Bernd! I remember that article, and I remember at the time thinking how much the finished results look like some of the road cuts on the interstates here in PA. The only thing I was going to add were some vertical lines to simulate the drill holes from blasting, a lot of them are still visible.
areibel

Postby Bernd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:18 pm

areibel wrote:Looks good Bernd! I remember that article, and I remember at the time thinking how much the finished results look like some of the road cuts on the interstates here in PA. The only thing I was going to add were some vertical lines to simulate the drill holes from blasting, a lot of them are still visible.

That was one of the reasons for trying this method. It reproduces the landscape pretty closely of the northeast. And it's very easy. I'll have to give those vertical drill holes a try.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Did a bit of hardscaping on the module. Really don't like the way it turned out. Looks to toy like to me. Also discovered the camera wasn't quite setup right, plus it helps to use a tripod.

An over all view.

Four close ups of the area.

Looks like it's back to hardscaping 101

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby TinGoat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:04 am

As critique, I think that you shouldn't have used the coat of plaster. It made something sharp and jagged look smooth and worn.

Perhaps a coat of thick primer paint instead of plaster.

Also, all of the stratification is flat and level. You need to get some undulations. Maybe just a few degrees from level. //// instead of _-_-__----

Lastly, the base colour is great but you need to add horizontal streaks of lighter and darker tones and then some weathering with vertical streaks.
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 pm

I like this tingoat, constructive criticsm is something we all learn from.I am sure Bernd will accept that as he like me is trying to do the best we can.
richardedmonds

Postby Bernd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:43 pm

TinGoat wrote:As critique, I think that you shouldn't have used the coat of plaster. It made something sharp and jagged look smooth and worn.

Agreed 100% with that critique.

Perhaps a coat of thick primer paint instead of plaster.

That's exactly what I am going to do.

Also, all of the stratification is flat and level. You need to get some undulations. Maybe just a few degrees from level. //// instead of _-_-__----

Again I agree 100%. I noticed that after I had glued all the pieces together. Next time around "some undulation". :thumbup:

Lastly, the base colour is great but you need to add horizontal streaks of lighter and darker tones and then some weathering with vertical streaks.

Still working on getting the colors down right.

Thanks for the critique. Much appreciated.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:18 pm

I've gotten back to working on this diorama. Now that I can make straight track the next project is making some turnouts. So I fired up the CAD program and drew up a #4 left turnout. Did a bit of magic and milled out a PC board turnout.

Now I can get the track laid going to the second level of layout, the switchback. I've got one more to do to go from the middle level to the top.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans