Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby Marquette » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Just saw some of those in use for an N scale layout, and it looked just fine once those were down along with roadbed and track.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Bernd » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:11 pm

I think I've got the transition worked out pretty good.

Right now I'm waiting on some Smooth-On 305 resin to cast some track sections for code 55 rail. In the meantime I'm working on getting some log bunk buggies built. A member on MRH gave me a link to an HOn30 site that has drawings and instructions on scratchbuilding HOn30 log buggies. Size wise they are close to TT scale. I'm going to make them out of brass for weight. Here's the link: http://www.hon30.org/disconnect-log-cars/

Bernd
Bernd

Postby gerhard_k » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:03 pm

Bernd wrote:I think I've got the transition worked out pretty good.

Amazing how >just doing it< will overcome all the theoretical back-and-forth. :thumbup:

Nice work, and so much faster progress than I ever manage! :clap:

- Gerhard
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Bernd » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:29 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
Bernd wrote:I think I've got the transition worked out pretty good.

Amazing how >just doing it< will overcome all the theoretical back-and-forth. :thumbup:

Yes, isn't that the truth. Plus a bit of a foam rasp and some sand paper did the trick. Of course you will need your eye ball calibrated first. :wink:

Nice work, and so much faster progress than I ever manage! :clap:

- Gerhard

Thank you very much Gerhard. Much appreciated.

More to come soon. Have been doing a project on the "honey do list" first. :cry: :roll:
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:49 pm

A modeler friend on another forum sent me a post on another version of the Gum Stump & Snowshoe layout. It was an article in the August 1982 Model Railroader. A company not yet know built a version of the layout in there store. They added two sections to it later on. The store is now known nation wide, Hobby Lobby. They demonstrated that building a layout could be easy and that one shouldn't have a concern with lack of space. They used material that they sold in their store to build the layout during business hours so people could watch and ask questions while the staff was working on they layout.

Here's a link to a modified version. I removed the brand names of the buildings and use generic names.
The first section is 19½" by 72" as is the second section. The third section is 19½" by 48". So you wind up with a 19½ inches by 16 foot shelf layout. I've already got some ideas for the third section of my layout.

http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/TTnut/LayoutDrawing001-horz.jpg

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bernd

Postby TiTan downunder » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:22 pm

I like that plan. The Second section on that plan must have an equally steep down grade between the two switched to the wharf assuming the track past the sandhouse is level and the wharf at O" . Could make for some interesting operations to the coal mine as you'd have to drag them up the incline and over the hump at the switch area. By the time you get the last car clear of the switch you'd be pushing them uphill to cross the bridge to the mine. Has to potential to keep anybody interested in switching manoeuvers entertained for hours.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:17 am

TiTan downunder wrote:I like that plan. The Second section on that plan must have an equally steep down grade between the two switched {switches?} to the wharf assuming the track past the sandhouse is level and the wharf at O" .

Ian

I like it, too, especially the way the crowded big-city feeling of the original plan has been transformed into a (much more satisfying) sleepy back-country operation, with room for nice scenery. And the way the main(?) track goes into the tunnel, giving the opportunity to continue the layout to the left. But I would trade the pickle plant for a fish cannery.

With respect to the grades, I know you've already built the main uphill grade section, but looking at it now, some of the rise could have been in the track between the Tower switch and the top of the bridge, so your main grade could actually have been a little more gentle.
And then I was wondering how the elevations were going to be worked between the First Section and the Wharf, because (unless the layout is in Holland, where the land is below sea level behind the dikes :whistle: ) it wouldn't make sense to have the track to the Wharf going uphill...
gerhard_k

Postby Bernd » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm

gerhard_k wrote:[ But I would trade the pickle plant for a fish cannery.

Nobody said you can't. The original layout that Hobby Lobby built used models that were available in the store in that time period just to show how easy it is to build a layout.

With respect to the grades, I know you've already built the main uphill grade section, but looking at it now, some of the rise could have been in the track between the Tower switch and the top of the bridge, so your main grade could actually have been a little more gentle.

Remember I'm building a logging layout. The Cass Scenic Railroad (Mower Lumber Company acquired the Cass operation in 1942) is kind of what I'm basing my logging line on. They have some steep grades.

And then I was wondering how the elevations were going to be worked between the First Section and the Wharf, because (unless the layout is in Holland, where the land is below sea level behind the dikes :whistle: ) it wouldn't make sense to have the track to the Wharf going uphill...

I was wondering the same thing. There are such instances in nature, but not that close together.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:34 am

NEWS FLASH

Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy. makes it's first run up a 9% grade through a 10" radius S curve.

They said it couldn't be done.

REALLY?

REALLY!!!!

Details at 11:00

Bernd
Bernd

Postby gerhard_k » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Bernd wrote:NEWS FLASH

Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy. makes it's first run up a 9% grade through a 10" radius S curve.

Congratulations! And done with a 40-foot car and the SW, not mining-scale equipment! :clap:

As a point of info, when you observe the couplers during the run, how much of their vertical engagement is used up in the transitions, i.e., how close do they come to vertically unlatching?
gerhard_k

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans