Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I've been contemplating on what I want to build in TT scale starting this year. My plan for TT scale is four individual "portable" layouts connected with some "just track" sections to make it either point to point or curved sections to make it a continues run. I have a good idea about three, the coal mine, the logging, the logging engine facility. The fourth would be a possible saw mill and coal processing pant. That one still needs some thought.

I'm going to use a new term "TOMA", "The One Module Approach". This concept was introduced by Joe Fugate of MRH. Here is a link to that issue if you are interested in the concept. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2015-10-oct/publishers-musings

So, the Gum Stump & Snowshoe layout plan is still going to be used but won't be my first module. Here's a picture of the first module, The Logging Engine Facility.

I always liked this plan ever since I had the magazine, 54 years. Of course I got the magazine years after that date since I didn't start my subscription till the 70's.

Here's one just of the track plan.

It's nice and flat, something I can learn to build turnouts on and lay track. All will be Code55 rail hand laid. Now all I need is to get started on the frame work.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Bernd wrote:Now all I need is to get started on the frame work.

Bernd

Well hell, that's the easiest part! You should be done sometime tonight :wink:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby oldtrainguy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Bernd,

Have you thought about following the freemo standards for the frame work?

I believe Bill Dixon posted a bunch of stuff on how he converted the HO freemo standards to TT scale where relevant.

Just wondering.

P.S. I always like following along on your projects.
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:16 pm

oldtrainguy wrote:Bernd,
Have you thought about following the freemo standards for the frame work?

I've looked at it, yes. For my purpose it's to confining. Since I won't be linking up to another person's module I will go with my own thoughts.

I believe Bill Dixon posted a bunch of stuff on how he converted the HO freemo standards to TT scale where relevant.

If I was going to connect with the groups modules then yes I would follow Bill Dixon's design. I'll be using technique's from Joey Richard's portable layout. I already have the materials. Now that I finally have my mind made up what I'm going to do it should progress with a little more speed.

P.S. I always like following along on your projects.

Well that's nice to hear. I hope I don't steer you wrong as I go. :lol: You're welcome to follow along as is the rest of the forum members. Comments and critique is always welcome.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:39 am

ConducTTor wrote:
Bernd wrote:Now all I need is to get started on the frame work.

Bernd

Well hell, that's the easiest part! You should be done sometime tonight :wink:

Didn't make your dead line Alex. :wtf: :roll: :lol:

I was looking over the plan to see what size it would be in TT scale, 55 (1397mm) inches long by 12 (304.8mm) wide. I think I'm going to make it 18" (457.2mm) wide by 72" (1828.8mm) long. That way I may be able to get a run around track on the engine lead track.

So I'm getting there. Slowwwwwwwly! :dance:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 am

Here's a bit more of what I plan to do. The Western logging Co. track plan will be the lumber and coal companies engine facilities. I found my coal mine track plan that I modified from either a Model Railroader track plan or one of the track plan books. Here's the plan for this adventure.

The lumber and coal engine facility track plan will be the first to be built. I need some experience in layout building and since this will be almost a flat track plan I think it's a good place to start.

After that section is complete I will move on to the coal mine track plan.

Next will be the logging section.

And hopefully in the time I build these sections I'll find drawings or modify drawings for the sawmill and coal processing plant.

So on to start building the first section. Don't hold your breath you might turn blue. :shock: :grin: :wave:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am

As I stated in my last post about building a layout. I'm going to use an approach that has been talked about on Model Railroad Hobbyist e-zine. It's called "TOMA" (The "One Module" Approach, emphasis on One Module). It basically boils down to building a section of the layout from benchwork to finished module. I plan to use this approach to build several modules that can be taken to local shows.

So the first module to be built will be the Western Logging Co. only it won't be called Western Logging.

The past week I've been learning a 3D program, DesignSpark Mechanical 2.0. I figured it'd be a good tool to learn to eventually use to design TT scale rolling stock and rolling stock power. I'm looking to the future of setting up a table top plastic injection molding machine for limited runs. Time will tell if this comes to fruition.

Here's my first attempt at a 3D design of the first module. Still needs some refinements.

For those of you that are interested in the dimensions. The module is 55" over all length by 12" wide. The two cross members with the holes are 10.5" wide by 5 3/4" tall by 1/2" thick. I will use clear 1/2" thick pine for construction. A piece of 1/2" thick plywood will be fitted into the frame covered by a piece of 1/2" Homasote 12" by 55". This will cover the plywood. I'm using 1/2" quarter round stock on either side of the cross members for support. Still to be added are strips around the inside perimeter to hold the plywood. I'll post again when the 3D drawing is done.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:49 am

I'm going to add two more modules to the list. These came from a Dec 1963 Model Railroader. They are the Epithet Creek R.R. and Epithet Creek engine terminal. So at present I have 5 modules. Still to be determined is a sawmill module and a coal processing plant. Seven modules in all should give me a pretty complete TT scale railroad. Now if only one of the major model manufacturers would crank out some TT scale equipment. :pray:

The Epithet Creek R.R.

The Epithet Creek Engine terminal.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Further up dates in greater detail on the progress of this layout concept will be posted on my TT Scale portion of my web site.

http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/TT.html

I'm finding that I spend way to much time on the forums posting about my projects and have decided to cut back on posting in the many forums I belong to. It's easier to just post quick a update with a link to recent activity.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Got the first module assembled after getting my Kreg pocket screw jig and wood.

You'll find the complete write up here: http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/LET.html

Enjoy.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans