Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:43 pm

More progress. This morning I started to layout the track. I used strips of cork cut to half the width of TT scale ties. I made a jig from some scraps of the ply used to make the frame.

Using the jig and a very sharp utility knife I made shallow cuts until I was through the 1/8" thick cork.

The bottom side of the jig plus a piece of cork strip .430" wide.

I started with the section that'll climb to the logging camp.

The curve I came up with was to gentle and probably won't have given me much room on the tail tracks. So I made a template out of cardboard with a 10" radius. Much better.

Wanting to see how the height will work out I used two 2" thick pieces for the logging camp area. The switch back will use one 2" piece. Looks like the grades are going to be steep. IIRC the Cass Railroads last grade was at 13%. I'll have to look that up to verify. I've got a picture of it some where in my slide collection. If I ever find it I'll post it.

That's it for now. I'm going to sit and dream a while about what the finished layout will look like.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 pm

10" seems pretty tight - I hope you don't have long cars planned.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Bernd wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Hey I've seen that picture somewhere....cool. As for turnouts, you do know that Fast Tracks has them right? http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Track ... s/2410.htm

I may have posted it before somewhere.

Yup, know that Fast-Track has the jig. May just spring for one to give it a try.

Bernd

I think the original layout design assumed #4 switches. Using FT's #6 will stretch out the length of the plan considerably - maybe that's not a problem for you.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Bernd,

Thanks for the curved template idea.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:21 pm

ConducTTor wrote:10" seems pretty tight - I hope you don't have long cars planned.

Log cars are usually in the 20 to 30 foot range. Class A Climax's can handle tight curves also. I'll have to lay some track on a test bed and see if 10" will work. What's minimum radius for TT? I know 18" radius is minimum for HO.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 pm

gerhard_k wrote:I think the original layout design assumed #4 switches. Using FT's #6 will stretch out the length of the plan considerably - maybe that's not a problem for you.

I think I'm going to have to throw out standard turnout's such as #4 or #6. They are going to need to be made to what ever fits. Remember logging railroads made their own standards. Great for me since I love freelancing.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:25 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Bernd,

Thanks for the curved template idea.

No problem Angry. Much easier than using a long stick or something.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Bernd wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:10" seems pretty tight - I hope you don't have long cars planned.

Log cars are usually in the 20 to 30 foot range. Class A Climax's can handle tight curves also. I'll have to lay some track on a test bed and see if 10" will work. What's minimum radius for TT? I know 18" radius is minimum for HO.

Bernd

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 12" and I think even that's pushing it. However since you're using very short cars it may not be a problem.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:56 am

Bernd wrote:

Bernd

Minimum radius depends on the type of cars and locomotives you use. (Shay can handle this too.)
Also in the standard. You have it correct according to NMRA RP-11, where your choice of rolling stock is in "J" group, 10" radius.
http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/rp-11.pdf
Remember that it requires weight of the cars according to the standard too (they should not be too light).

According to NEM 111, and your choice of rolling stock, the minimum allowed radius would be 9.44", the recommended minimum 9.84". (which agrees nicely with NMRA's 10")
http://www.malezeljeznice.net/repozitorij/norme/NEM111_ENG.pdf

Jan
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby Bernd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks Jan.
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans