Once upon a time in Michigan...

Once upon a time in Michigan...

Postby Marquette » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 am

Well, this will be my thread for my models.

Why the title? Well, because my main focus in modelling is the Pere Marquette railway in Michigan in 1947, with some forwards-fudging to 1948 to allow some cool things like the BL2.

So my current megaproject is the BL2, which will end up in Chesapeake & Ohio lettering; these were ordered by the Pere Marquette, but the PM was merged into the C&O in 1947, and so when the BL2s were delivered in 1948, they were given C&O lettering - but with Pere Marquette colours (Venetian yellow, as opposed to the C&O's yellow. The blue is C&O Enchantment Blue, though).

The model started life as the shell of a MAV Nohab. I cut the two cabs off; one cab had the entirety of the nose removed, while the other had the nose narrowed and extended. The cab was the easy part - the rest of the body is of styrene, laminated for the fenders and shaped. The long hood is being built up now, and will also have some lamination to get enough material in place for it to be shaped once it is built up. Detailing is of course done with various "found" detail parts from HO and N scale. Lots of work left to do, but it's starting to look like a BL2, at least.

One compromise I made that I now regret, is that I shortened the body by 4' to make it so it can fit the PVM power chassis kit for the GP9. I now wish I'd instead lengthened the frame instead. I'm actually even semi-contemplating a dismantle to extend the body by the missing 4'... but not likely. I regret this decision in part because the locomotive is not to scale in length, and because I've had someone ask me several times if I'd make a mould to cast the body...

In any case, here are a few pictures of the BL2; I'll post other pictures as it progresses, and other pictures of other models as the proceed...

bl2-1.jpg

bl2-2.jpg

bl2-3.jpg
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Once upon a time in Michigan...

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 am

I LOVE THE BL2!

If you would, could you please let me know what you used and where to get the parts to make one?

Thanks,

James
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 am

Well, I didn't really take notes, but, not including the detail parts, there's a Possum Valley GP9 power chassis kit and the body from a BTTB Nohab. The large vents on the side are from Cannon & Co, the louvres I can't remember who made, but if I were to start on the project now, I'd use the new louvre decals from Archer - I'm already using their decals. The rest... everything white in the pictures is Evergreen sheet styrene... lots of that, putty and lots of sanding and filing to shape.

Hm. Maybe I *should* look at getting it casted when the body is done?
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:43 am

TTQuebec wrote:Hm. Maybe I *should* look at getting it casted when the body is done?

I'd buy one, or trade a body casting when I get more work done on my project engines.
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:35 am

TTQ this is great, to me this is what working in 1:120 is all about, you got in there with a saw and knife etc and are coming up with a great model result. It may well be a hybrid but I have to salute your use of available parts to such a good effect.
I am looking forward to seeing how you progress
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:52 am

I second that. Great work. TT is a weird scale, so I'm not surprised that some of us like weird locos.

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks for the kind words, lads.

As far as 1:120... my dream is, that one day I *won't* have to put so much effort into scrounging and adapting to build basic models, but can spend the equivalent amount of effort on superdetailing pre-existing models! :)
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 am

scaro wrote:I second that. Great work. TT is a weird scale, so I'm not surprised that some of us like weird locos.

Ben

All of us here are a little weird in some form or fashion.

I myself took the award for 'Weirdest Person in the Engine Room on the USS Annapolis for four years running (my entire time there)!

First over the pet rats, then over Rat Bastard, the swimming rat who loved going out and about on a leash, then over my "Carl from Sling Blade" voice, then choosing to spend all day watching trains in France over going to strip-clubs and buying a train set and fitting it into my rack during my last deployment.

Weird people, Weird Scale, Great place to be!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:03 pm

That BL-2 looks even better in person. Thanks for bringing it with you!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 pm

TTQuebec wrote:One compromise I made that I now regret, is that I shortened the body by 4' to make it so it can fit the PVM power chassis kit for the GP9. I now wish I'd instead lengthened the frame instead. I'm actually even semi-contemplating a dismantle to extend the body by the missing 4'... but not likely.

That looks great. I doubt anyone will know that it is 4 ' short, I would not have thought so if you didn't mention it. I always thought BL-2's were the same size as GP-9's ..........dave
ctxmf74

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models