Old Pittman Motors

Old Pittman Motors

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:52 am

Old timers question really I suppose---- what type of controllers are you guys using who are still playing with the old HP stuff. While experimenting today it seems my old tri-ang controller will not handle the higher currents of these old motors very well. It constantly overloads and trips out begging the question how do we make this old stuff more compatible with the newer lower current controls.
Seems a silly question I know but these old HP's are heavy duty electrical power hoarders needing car battery type power I think
richardedmonds

Re: Old Pittman Motors

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

I use Piko power supply like this.

But it is 220V, European-type.
Attachments
1800.jpg
Arseny

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 am

That would be ok for me Arseny I am in London so 220V is good . Do you find that controller works with the HP loco that you have if so I might try one for myself.
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am

I do not have great experience with the HP - I have only 1 HP locomotive in use (until today - yesterday I got another 2 but I did not tested them yet)
But it works good with this HP locomotive, and BTTB, and Rokal too.
(My friends told me it can supply 2 Rokal locomotives at the same time; they are very "gluttonous")

And as I know it is the most powerful controller - it is approx. more than twice more powerful than "start" BTTB or modern Mehano.

It can give you 1.2 A amperage!
If your locomotive needs more than 1.2A - I am sure something is wrong...

(Of course, I mean it is analog controller, not DCC?)
Arseny

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks Arseny thats where the problem lies I think, some of the older Pittman motors I have seem to draw around 1-1.2A with minimal load upon them. I am not up there on technical stuff but maybe the permanent magnets have gotten weak or something similar.
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:47 pm

I hope this power supply will be enough for your locomotive, even if it needs 1-1.2A.
Maybe you can't use it for 2 or more locomotives, but I am sure for 1 locomotive everything will be ok.

It is named Piko ME 005, it was made in GDR, and I hope you can buy it on Ebay.
(note, it is very heavy)

P.S. I tried to use old HP locomotive wih the modern Tillig's impulse power supply. It failed.
But with the Mehano power supply everything was ok, although it was not very powerful.
I think the reason is it was impulse.
Arseny

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 pm

To be honest Arseny I think it would be preferable to put a new motor in it rather than keep trying to play with the Pittman type. Even the brushes on a pittman can pull 0.5A with no load if they are too tight against the commutator. Coupled with the weight of say a mountain loco and the modern controllers cannot handle the power needed to get it going. Anybody else with any larger HP loco's coming across this problem :think:
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:09 am

But do you know any modern motor that could be suitable for the HP loco instead of old Pittman?
(I mean - without great rebuilding)
Arseny

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:32 am

No Arseny I don't, I think I can get a Mashima 1024 can in there without too much trouble but will need to rework the chassis to do it
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:52 am

Maybe you simply try to use some oil, to lubricate your motor?
Electric motors need a lot of amperage if they must to generate a great force to rotate and/or to start.
It is so in case you are moving a big heavy train and also in case your motor have not enough oil...
Arseny

Next

Return to General Discussion