Old Pittman Motors

Re: Old Pittman Motors

Postby Marquette » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm very curious as to the thought process that led to submerging the motor in water for cleaning... how did someone think "hey, it might be a good idea to try running the electrical motor UNDER WATER!!" :D
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby railtwister » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Actually, it may not be as crazy as one might first think.

1.) Water is not a bad solvent/cleaning solution.
2.) Fresh water is not a great conductor, especially at the low voltages used by model trains.
3.) The spinning armature agitates the water, sweeping away contaminates that that might otherwise be hard to remove.
4.) While not a great lubricant, it is better than running the motor on dry bearings.
5.) The water also is a coolant.
6.) Unlike most other cleaning solvents, water is non-flammable (unless you live in Pennsylvania, Cleveland, or Boston, where rivers have been known to ignite!)

Now, before you say that I am also crazy, let me say that I have never tried this myself, but I can see how it might work, maybe even better than some of the cleaning methods I HAVE tried.

If you want to think about crazy, consider that the motors powering fuel pumps in modern fuel injected automobiles frequently are wet, meaning that their armature and brush assemblies are immersed in the liquid being pumped, either diesel fuel or gasoline! Scary thought, but safe as long as there is no air for ignition.

Regards,
Bill
railtwister

Postby Zs12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:49 am

I wouldn't recommend to do that with normal water because of potential short circuits and electrolysis effects, only with de-ionized water. :eh:
Zs12

Postby TTSMR » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:59 am

lüTTe wrote:I wouldn't recommend to do that with normal water because of potential short circuits and electrolysis effects, only with de-ionized water. :eh:

It works GREAT with tap water!
(Ok, maybe not in Pennsylvania, Cleveland, or Boston!!!)

If your thinking about using bottled water, just remember most bottled water is tap water in a bottle!
Last edited by TTSMR on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTSMR

Postby TTSMR » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 am

[quote="railtwister"]
1.) Water is not a bad solvent/cleaning solution.
2.) Fresh water is not a great conductor, especially at the low voltages used by model trains.
3.) The spinning armature agitates the water, sweeping away contaminates that that might otherwise be hard to remove.
4.) While not a great lubricant, it is better than running the motor on dry bearings.
5.) The water also is a coolant.
6.) Unlike most other cleaning solvents, water is non-flammable (unless you live in Pennsylvania, Cleveland, or Boston, where rivers have been known to ignite!)

Right on the money railtwister!

To the naysayers, remember:
They told the Wright Brothers they couldnt fly.
They told dr Robert Goddard we couldnt fly in space.
They said that new 'radio' thing was just a fad.
They said that new 'telivision' thing wont last.
They said 'Beta'tapes are bigger and better than 'VHS'.
They said 'Diso' will never die! (Thank God it did !)
And they even keep saying that Elvis is still dead!!!
TTSMR

Postby railtwister » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 am

richardedmonds wrote:I am looking into getting some replacement rare earth magnets made up for these Pittmans. Is anybody else interested if I can come up with the goods. I have no idea of prices yet but I do know that I will not pay the "Earth" for them

I just received an email from Micro-Mark advertising just such a product, complete with a picture of rare earth magnets installed in an old Mantua/Tyco motor. The quoted price ($19.95) seems quite high to me, given that I've seen similar products in hobby shops from other model RR manufacturers at a much lower cost. Also, I'm not sure these will be of any use to anyone not living in the US, since the ad specifies ground shipment only. I don't know why this is, unless they are afraid the high intensity magnets would affect an aircraft's navigational systems. Wouldn't sending model locomotives or other products containing electric motors with similar magnets be equally hazardous?

See: http://www.micromark.com/Super-Magnets- ... ign=11016A

Regards,
Bill
railtwister

Previous

Return to General Discussion