Odegard Mikado 2-8-2 scratchbuilding project underway

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Odegard Mikado 2-8-2 scratchbuilding project underway

Postby ConnRiver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 pm

At TT_IMS, a steam locomotive scratchbuilding project is underway from the railhead up. Model Railroader magazine gave me permission to scan and post all pages in Gordon Odegard's eight-article series, "A USRA Mikado in brass - Learn how to work with metal and build your own steam motive power."

We can use all the eyes and voices on the project we can muster. At the moment, we're kicking around suspension -- springing vs. compensation. I'm of the view that springing will not work in TT scale (I'm parroting what seems to be a consensus opinion, this is my first steam project, so I do not have a firm opinion of my own).

The Project is located in nine folders (one folder for each article, and one for general usage by anyone who wishes to post information or make comments). Here's a link to my opening post, introducing the project:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TT_IMS/message/4188

-Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Re: Odegard Mikado 2-8-2 scratchbuilding project underway

Postby TTTerrific » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm

What a surprise! In the 80's I used to subscribe to MR. I kept all the magazines which included Gordy's series on "scratching" a USRA mike. I gave the collection to a local model railroading club, but not before I photo copied a number of articles from the MR that I liked--including the entire series on building the USRA mike. I have often thought about and want to build a steam loco in TT. The task seems daunting, but not impossible. I'm really looking forward to your project. I model the SP which had a series of mikes, though not of USRA design, were mighty close in many respects. Good luck. :thumbup:
TTTerrific

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Brian, do you know if there will be photos taken of the process to help others see how metal working is done for scratchbuilding?

I started a 4-2-4 project back in 2010, and I had a few problems with making the boiler look right, among other issues; and being able to see how a locomotive is successfully built would help a lot. Also, a list of tools used would be helpful as well.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConnRiver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:34 am

TTTerrific wrote:What a surprise! . . . I have often thought about and want to build a steam loco in TT. The task seems daunting, but not impossible. I'm really looking forward to your project. I model the SP which had a series of mikes, though not of USRA design, were mighty close in many respects. Good luck. :thumbup:

Thanks! Thought I would stumble along in public view hoping others would chime in, helping me get along. By helping me get along with the project, I hope others might benefit, too.

-Brian C.
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby ConnRiver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:Brian, do you know if there will be photos taken of the process to help others see how metal working is done for scratchbuilding?

I started a 4-2-4 project back in 2010, and I had a few problems with making the boiler look right, among other issues; and being able to see how a locomotive is successfully built would help a lot. Also, a list of tools used would be helpful as well.

I plan to take photos as I go. In fact, yesterday I posted a photo of my very first cutting, a pair of side frames. The acrylic plastic broke. I'm going to re-cut them using a styrene product I have. I'm doing plastic first to proof the machine code. Then I'll move on to metal. Since Gordy built his loco from metal, I figure we all will learn a lot.

If there are certain photos you wish to see, let me know and I'll snap 'em.

This is my first locomotive scratchbuilding project, so I expect to screw up plenty along the way. But, I'll keep coming back at it until we figure out a solution to the problems that arise.

I'd like to follow Gordy's articles step by step and, when finished, change things that the group thinks should be changed for our scale. For example, rather than use springing (impossible in small scales, I understand) or compensation, Richard B. advises that building "slop" into the movement of the carrying drivers is sufficient in TT scale. I want to try this method, too.

In fact, Mike Sharman, in the introduction to his book, "Flexichas", writes that old locomotives often perform so well because, over time, they've developed a looseness, or slop, that allows all wheels to maintain electrical contact with track. His compensation system, he goes on, is designed to build controlled slop into locomotive architecture.

-Brian C.
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:44 am

Any updates on this project?
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:59 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Any updates on this project?

I'm not sure Brian C. is going to provide any...
Towards the end of February he indicated he had become "disillusioned with the direction of U.S. TT scale modeling"

I advised him to focus on just one project... and see it all the way through.
IMHO: A key issue is that for many TT-scale modelers, having 80% of what they need available for a scale project is essentially the same as having 0%. We need to get beyond the point where achieving prototypical models is a scavenger hunt.

Brian is multi-talented for sure... but I think TT-scale is a pond; and he is looking for an ocean.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Richard-B wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:Any updates on this project?

I'm not sure Brian C. is going to provide any... Towards the end of February he indicated he had become "disillusioned with the direction of U.S. TT scale modeling" I advised him to focus on just one project... and see it all the way through. IMHO: A key issue is that for many TT-scale modelers, having 80% of what they need available for a scale project is essentially the same as having 0%. We need to get beyond the point where achieving prototypical models is a scavenger hunt.

Brian is multi-talented for sure... but I think TT-scale is a pond; and he is looking for an ocean.

Angry, Richard, hi,

My disillusionment comment had much to do with my running into a brick wall, discovering just how difficult it is to proceed with projects when basic TT scale products are missing. What good will locos and rolling stock do for us when we don't have wheel sets to put under them and track to take them places? (In my personal case, I wish to have North American profile track and wheels not larger than Code 72, otherwise my enthusiasm wanes.)

I'm embarrassed that I've proposed this and said I'll do that on this list and at the TT_IMS site, and I haven't. So I've been laying low.

My latest strategy: Build a TT warchest . . . uh, er, maybe that should read "a TT shoe box." By that I mean earn some dollars, if I can, by getting my tiny cottage business going and perhaps invest a few bucks to get some of the TT basics done.

I've long been a piggyback fan(atic), so I'm going to focus on that subject matter for awhile and see if I can put a work flow together (CAD and CAM and CNC and casting) then establish an online commercial site (HO, TT, N, Z scale items).

Baby steps, narrow focus. Then, one day I hope not too far out, I'll re-tackle the projects I so much wish to finish, including the Mikado 2-8-2.

I apologize to my friends here for allowing my enthusiasm to run rampant by proposing projects that I now realize I wasn't yet ready to tackle systematically.

Brian Chapman
grangeRRoads.com (site to come, I hope)
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Richard-B » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:40 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Baby steps, narrow focus.

Brian
It IS good to hear from you...

Set yourself up for success in ANY scale...
and to mangle the quote: "if you build it in TT... the few of us will come!"

All the Best...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

I know the feeling. It seems that wheels are the biggest thing that stands in the way of producing more TT locomotives, in particular Steam locomotives. It is good to hear from you.
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to TT Scale Models