NY, V, & N Rwy. new engines

Re: NY, V, & N Rwy. new engines

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Man, if I had the tools you have........

My wife would never see me again :)))
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Man, if I had the tools you have........

My wife would never see me again :)))

+1 on that!

That FT project is cool, I didn't even realize the Stewarts were too long. And you should be writing articles for a magazine, too!

But with all that practice a TT scale one wouldn't be much (for you, anyway!). A new roof panel, a few port holes and Voila!
The Lionel ones are some sort of metal that's pretty tough, the ones I butchered I had to use a Dremel and cutting disc to get them apart- and the cuts show it!
areibel

Postby Marquette » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah I think Lionel used depleted uranium or like hyponeutronium to make those shells, I had a devil of a time just grinding the fans off the GP9 shell I had started working on. The paint too was something else, neither Easy-Off oven cleaner nor brake fluid even touched it...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Bernd wrote:I think it would be a great exposure for TT scale to get a article published.

Bernd

Uh huh :thumbup:

And if you get a good F7 B shell cast, I'll take two. But the Lionels are F3s.....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 am

I just used ordinary household paint stripper on mine. Took a couple of goes but more so on the Geep. If you want to do cut / shut operations why not do some cast shells and modify them to become your master. Much easier to cut urethane.
Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby j p » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 am

Another thing to do before spending time on this would be to compare the Lionel model to the drawings of the prototype. Especially the length.
I know that my GG1 is shorter than it is supposed to be. Are the F3s correct?
j p

Postby areibel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:29 pm

I compared it to a drawing for an F7, andthe Lionel F shell comes out almost perfect. The nose isn't too bad, the overall dimensions are within a few inches of perfect (and the difference sould be my shaky hands and bad eyes!). The headlight is too small, when I get brave I'll try drilling it out and replacing it with a piece of 3/16 brass tube. And the windshield looks off, but I think that's a factor of the shell being relatively thick and the windows being recessed a bit, I think flush windows would really help that.
areibel

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models