November Train Show - TT Meet (Round 2)?

Re: November Train Show - TT Meet (Round 2)?

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Holy cow, the pulpwood car looks HUGE. Does anyone have pics of the real thing (I can't find any)?

Haha, just gotta look under the right rock, the thread titled A&D pulpwood car, the first post in that thread has photos of the real thing. It is a big car, probably about 60 feet or more, I was thinking about getting one and cutting off the posts and making a bulkhead lumber flat out of it....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Marquette wrote:The train - BL2, A&D pulpwood car lettered for CN, TTNut PS2 just with grey paint, GC boxcar with cut-down ladders and Dan Kohlberg's Illinois Central decals, GC boxcar with my custom Lake Superior & Ishpeming decals, GC rtr CN boxcar, A&D CN wood caboose partially built.

Is that A&D flat the brass or shapeways version? If shapeways how smooth was the finish? The 40 foot boxcar with cut down ladders sounds interesting, I was thinking about updating some HP boxcars that way, maybe use them for lumber service like the SP did in their later days. Do you have a plan for an era for a layout, there seems to be a wide range of dates on that table :>) I'd like to model the modern era but I've found more railroad equipment as well as scenic stuff like trucks and cars that would fit better for the 1940-50's era so I'm not sure yet. I guess I'll have to look around and see if I can find any suitable late model autos and trucks before deciding....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Haha, just gotta look under the right rock, the thread titled A&D pulpwood car, the first post in that thread has photos of the real thing.

Indeed. Long gone are days when I knew every single thread by heart........
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:39 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Is that A&D flat the brass or shapeways version? If shapeways how smooth was the finish? The 40 foot boxcar with cut down ladders sounds interesting, I was thinking about updating some HP boxcars that way, maybe use them for lumber service like the SP did in their later days. Do you have a plan for an era for a layout, there seems to be a wide range of dates on that table :>) I'd like to model the modern era but I've found more railroad equipment as well as scenic stuff like trucks and cars that would fit better for the 1940-50's era so I'm not sure yet. I guess I'll have to look around and see if I can find any suitable late model autos and trucks before deciding....dave

The A&D flat is the Shapeways version. The surface is similar to that on the PS2 hopper, but rather less noticeable as the surfaces are much smaller than on the hopper.

I do have a plan for a layout... actually, two separate ones.

One is the original plan: a yet-to-be-determined spot in Michigan in 1948 shortly after the Pere Marquette/C&O merger. I've looked at a few locations: the Thumb would make for nice little "secondary line" atmosphere, but nothing in the way of foreign-road connections. Another good possibility is Alma to St Louis along with the Alma to Remus branch, which'd allow for some Ann Arbor as well. And a third - most likely - possibility is Port Huron, Mich. - St Clair Tunnel - Sarnia, Ont. which'd be just super for my electric fetish, as well as for my other big interests, Imperial Oil and Polymer Corporation.

The second plan is one that I came up with after the U30B was announced: this one is centred on the border crossing at Huntingdon, BC/Sumas, WA somewhere between 1970 and 1973. From Sumas, the plan calls for representing the four railways that met at Sumas: the Milwaukee Road I plan to represent the Lynden-Sumas-Limestone Jct line, for the Northern Pacific/Burlington Northern I plan for the Sumas to Wickersham stretch, for the BC Hydro Railway I plan Huntingdon-Abbotsford. I have no real plan to represent the Canadian Pacific at all beyond their switching action at Sumas.

Both of the above projects are planned to be built in a modular fashion to allow for easy transportation. If I make the modules stackable, I can store them in my place and work on them and have a lot more "layout" than I could have otherwise - would just have to transport the stuff to other locations to set up and run (though I have an idea to make some of the modules usable stand-alone as switching layouts).

As far as cars go... V&V has announced a Lada 1200 (aka Zhiguli) which'd be suitable for a 1970s American layout as a Fiat (since the Lada 1200 was a near-exact clone of a Fiat); Herpa's Volga and Moskvich cars have a very American late-50s/early-60s feel to them styling-wise, and wouldn't look out of place on a US-themed layout between say 1955 and 1975, and there are a number of German cars available of 1970s design that'd also work for a 1970s/early 1980s setting.

All that said - my /interest/ and /desire/ is MUCH stronger for 1940s and 1950s than any other period, but with all the equipment coming being mostly suitable for a post 1965-ish setting, there's little choice! U-boats are about the only post-first-gen diesels I really like, so that clinched it, really... and since I like the Milwaukee and they had U30Bs, and BC Hydro was the railway of my childhood (dad used to take me out to look at the "yellow trains" as I called them), the Sumas setting was clinched.

If I look over the equipment that's available and coming, the best possible period to pick is around 1965-1975 - only a few models are available or coming that aren't suitable for that period: TTNut gon and tank car, and A&D's pulpwood flat and tie flat. Everything else is perfectly suitable for that period in time. (I /really/ need to start learning how to do 3D drawings, to start doing more equipment suitable for the immediate post-war era...)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Marquette wrote:If I look over the equipment that's available and coming, the best possible period to pick is around 1965-1975 - only a few models are available or coming that aren't suitable for that period.

Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion. I could use old HP stuff to represent old equipment on it's last legs and things like the PVM 50 footer and TTNut hoppers as new equipment. I can scratchbuild other 70's era cars like boxcars or reefers as needed. I'll probably build my track with 1965-75 era in mind then update to later era as more equipment becomes available. I find the newer cars with their larger size, interesting weathering , and graffiti more fun to build but the railroad operations of the older era were more satisfying to replicate so I could go either way from the middle era or just hold at 1969 probably the pinnacle of human success :>) ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 pm

So the waiting shed and house are scratch builds?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

I was figuring 1970-ish for my Sumas thing because that was the year of the BN merger, so there was a dog's breakfast of NP, GN and CB&Q stuff for a few years, with more BN Cascade Green in the subsequent years... I think I'll settle on 1973 though, as that's when BC Hydro got their SD38-2s, or 1974, when they got their first boxcars for interchange use. That time was still early enough that they really were "real railways" to my perception, as opposed to whatever this modern stuff is. ;)
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

ConducTTor wrote:So the waiting shed and house are scratch builds?

Completely.
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Marquette wrote:I think I'll settle on 1973 though, as that's when BC Hydro got their SD38-2s, or 1974, when they got their first boxcars for interchange use. That time was still early enough that they really were "real railways" to my perception, as opposed to whatever this modern stuff is. ;)
Around 1970 when I arrived in Vancouver steeple cab electric locomotives were still used. I saw them in the yards near the Georgia St viaduct. For a traction fan that's real railroading.
dileTTante

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:42 am

Marquette wrote:As far as cars go... V&V has announced a Lada 1200 (aka Zhiguli) which'd be suitable for a 1970s American layout as a Fiat (since the Lada 1200 was a near-exact clone of a Fiat); Herpa's Volga and Moskvich cars have a very American late-50s/early-60s feel to them styling-wise, and wouldn't look out of place on a US-themed layout between say 1955 and 1975, and there are a number of German cars available of 1970s design that'd also work for a 1970s/early 1980s setting.

You can use also:

Lada 1200/Fiat 124 from Gabor, not only from V&V.

Renault 12/Dacia 1200 from Gabor (started in 1968)
But I do not know if they were exported in USA

Wartburg 311 or 312 - different manufacturers; as I know, Wartburg was exported in USA.

BMW/EMW 340 from Gabor - I do not know if they were exported in USA, but they were sold in Western Europe.

Volkswagen "Beetle"

Mini Cooper

Skoda 105S (started in 1975) from V&V- I do not know if it was exported in USA, but it was exported in Western Europe and even South America, Australia and New Zealand

Skoda Octavia (started in 1959) from V&V - the same thing

"Wargame" 15mm scale (1:100) Jeeps

And, of course, american cars by Mini-Things.

And the trucks: Russian ZiS-150 as International "K"-serie, MAZ-200 and YaAZ-210 as Federal (?), KrAZ as Peterbilt.
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion