North American prototype rail speeders and such equipment.

North American prototype rail speeders and such equipment.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 pm

After seeing some of the speeders and handcars on display at the recent Western Minnesota Steam Threshers reunion, in Rollag, MN, Nicholle and I have decided to try and make some models of speeders, handcars, and trailers for such things in TT scale. As of right now, they will be static models, perhaps as time goes on, we will have a running speeder model to display.

Here is the start of the first one: a pair of axles made from N scale wheels that have been extended with a section of styrene:
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: North American prototype rail speeders and such equipmen

Postby The Fish » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 pm

have a look at http://www.epokemodeller.dk/togmodeller ... ler_en.htm
I was looking at the modellbahnshop-sebnitz and found this new to me
regards
The Fish

Postby Marquette » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 am

A friend of mine has made a speeder in N scale, NP I think (but might be GN)... with scratchbuilt spoked wheels, engine block, everything... it's insane! (This guy's also made N scale fish, though, so. Draw your own conclusions ;P )

How do the N-scale wheels work out size-wise for a TT speeder?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:24 am

I've just read the article in "Model Railroader Hobbyist" concerning nice noticaable small details of the scenery that should be modelled on the layout. The first point was just the speeder and the velocipede near the station building...
Arseny

Postby j p » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 am

The Fish wrote:have a look at http://www.epokemodeller.dk/togmodeller ... ler_en.htm
I was looking at the modellbahnshop-sebnitz and found this new to me
regards

To save you some time searching for their TT products, here is a direct link:
http://www.epokemodeller.dk/togmodeller/katalog%202012%20side5.pdf
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Marquette wrote:A friend of mine has made a speeder in N scale, NP I think (but might be GN)... with scratchbuilt spoked wheels, engine block, everything... it's insane! (This guy's also made N scale fish, though, so. Draw your own conclusions ;P )

How do the N-scale wheels work out size-wise for a TT speeder?

They break down to 27" inch wheels in TT, which is on the large size for speeders and handcars, but I have seen a few that had wheels in the 24"-28" range, so it would work, out, however most speeders have wheels around 14"-18".

There are three speeders at a museum about a 1/2 mile from here (along with Northern Pacific #684, one of two extant NP 4-4-0s.), two have the smaller range of wheels, and one has wheels that measure roughly 25" in diameter across the face (excluding the flanges).

Z scale wheels would work out better for speeder (and Hi-railer) wheels, as a typical 36" freight truck wheel in Z would be 19" in TT.

However, none of the hobby shops that I can locate and contact within a roughly 300 mile radius of me carry Z scale equipment/parts, and Nicholle does not want me scavenging parts from her Z scale train set. I am simply working with what I have in my parts bin for wheels right now for this project.

There was no exact standard for speeders, so this flexibility gives me the ability to make a reasonable model here of speeders and such.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:33 pm

After some searching, I found some plans for Pennsylvania handcars that had 25" diameter wheels, so the N scale wheels are just fine in this application.

The first set of axles is to become a handcar. The platform is installed, now the rest will be sheet metal and wire, with a pair of figures to complete it:
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 am

Smaller wheels are available in TT: 4.1 mm in diameter. Those were used for German RoLa cars.
4.1 mm in TT makes 19.4" on the prototype.
http://www.lok-doktor-stein.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p2990_tt-radsatz-fuer-rola-4-1mm--beidseitig-isoliert.html
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:35 am

j p wrote:Smaller wheels are available in TT: 4.1 mm in diameter. Those were used for German RoLa cars.
4.1 mm in TT makes 19.4" on the prototype.
http://www.lok-doktor-stein.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p2990_tt-radsatz-fuer-rola-4-1mm--beidseitig-isoliert.html

Those look nice, but for this project, those will not work, as the axle bearing surface on that is metal, and is much harder to remove than the plastic ones I am working with now, and would make trying to clean up the wheels so they are roughly flush on the surface a real pain in the tail feathers.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I am giving some thought to not only restart trying to model speeders and such in TT scale, I am also considering trying to build a working speeder in TT scale. The first hurdle will be finding a small enough 12 volt motor to use.
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models