North American K brakes

North American K brakes

Postby Andy Carlson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Hello,
I am a new participant in modeling in 1:120 scale. I am working on some patterns for some narrow gauge flat cars, gondolas, and boxcars, and I need a good TT scale K brake casting. I have a Gold Coast Fowler boxcar, but it has AB brakes, as earlier cars were often upgraded in the late 1930s and into the late 1940s. Can anyone suggest a source for a K brake? I would accept either a KC or KD style. Also, anyone know of a source for a single cylinder air pump casting? Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Andy Carlson

Re: North American K brakes

Postby scaro » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Welcome on board, Andy.

Possibly try Larry Sayre, he had a lot of small cast white metal items?

Larrco Models
Larry Sayre
349 Cherry Hill Drive
Ellisville, MO 63011
636-227-6569
TT kits, parts, misc

Ben
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Andy,

Welcome to the forums, and to TT!

(Am I right in thinking I've seen your name on the STMFC group?)

As far as K brakes go, I'm /fairly/ sure the Possum Valley kits had them included in the detail parts. I'll have to dig into my spare parts pile to check, but I'm pretty sure it's the case. I'll let you know this weekend sometime.

Also, there was an outfit in the UK on whose website I saw some white metal castings of K brake parts, but I can't recall the website...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, that was quick!

The PVM kits did indeed include K brake parts. I can't tell you if KC or KD, as I never paid attention to Ks as much as ABs, as my interests have mostly fallen post-1940, and it's somewhat rudimentary - but it looks the part enough that I didn't have to look twice.

I only have this one, but I probably won't ever use it. If you want, PM me your address and I'll mail it off to you.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:33 am

scaro

Postby Andy Carlson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:37 am

Marquette:
I am new to this style of forum, and I can't seem to get a private message icon to open. So apologies to the list for others putting up with this bandwidth. My email address is <midcentury@sbcglobal.net> Thanks to the others who have given me a lot of hope in tracking down this component. Yes, I am a sometime poster on the Steam Era List.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Andy Carlson

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Hey Andy, welcome aboard! Click on Marquette's name and on the next page under "Contact Marquette" you can choose PM or email.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion