No room, no excuse

No room, no excuse

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 12, 2013 1:13 pm

A great article on how to do a very small layout in MRH. Simply superb. With a shortened "main" track (and in 1:120) this thing can be tiny. Page 95.

http://mrhpub.com/2013-05-may/land/#/95/zoomed
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: No room, no excuse

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 pm

I agree that it can be tiny, especially if it is set up for 4 wheeled locomotives, such as the Lindsey/Kemtron docksider or the PVM 25T loco.

I would not be happy with such a small layout by itself, though.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 12, 2013 7:28 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I would not be happy with such a small layout by itself, though.

If I didn't have the space I totally would be.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:I would not be happy with such a small layout by itself, though.

If I didn't have the space I totally would be.

I spent years assigned to a nuclear submarine, and the space available for your typical enlisted man is not much. I need my space to do my hobbies and such.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 pm

It's nifty, yeah... but for me, I've decided that if I can't have a reasonably proto-accurate thing, even if just a small switching layout, then I'm just not going to bother because I wouldn't be able to be content with it.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Mon May 13, 2013 4:07 am

"No room" ? :o This layout needs 80 inches = 2 meters for one "leg" + 80 inches for another.
If I have 2*2 meters space in my room, I'd better build some 4*8-feet or 6*8-feet layout with a lot of turnouts...
And if I want to build a tiny layout, there are a lot of plans at the http://www.carendt.com/
There are some similar plans there.
I am totally agreed, this layout is to be shortened...
Arseny

Postby railtwister » Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 am

Marquette wrote:It's nifty, yeah... but for me, I've decided that if I can't have a reasonably proto-accurate thing, even if just a small switching layout, then I'm just not going to bother because I wouldn't be able to be content with it.

Hi Marquette,

Having been born in Miami, I can tell you that the single turnout shelf layout described by Lance Mindheim in the MRH article is very accurate to the prototype, not only does it "look" right, it agrees quite well with Google maps (I checked it out, search for 3409 NE 62 Street, Miami , FL, on Google Maps if you'd like to see it for yourself).

For someone who enjoys making scenery, scratch-building structures, and adding scenic detail & clutter, there is enough there to keep them busy for quite a while. Still, there are no mountains in Miami. My own personal problem is that I am unable to satisfy myself with my own efforts at building scenery, so I really don't enjoy doing it very much. I must admit that up until Lance's series of articles on his current layout, I thought Miami was just too flat and boring to be a decent prototype for model railroad scenery. After reading his articles, I can see that I was wrong.

Most model railroaders start a layout with over-ambitious goals in mind, and when the construction progress gets bogged down, they get discouraged, lose interest, or tear it down and start over. The most important point in this article is the idea of starting small while maintaining achievable goals, thus being able to complete this part of the layout, and then add more layout once this section is complete. If following that advice from this article helps a modeler break out of the "start it, get bored, then tear it down and start over again" syndrome, then it is very good advice indeed.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Return to Layouts / Track Plans