Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Are you a member?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
Site Admin

Re: NMRA member?

Postby Bernd » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:38 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Are you a member?

Not anymore. I was one back in the late 70's early 80's when I belonged to the Kodak City Model RR Club (aka Rochester City Model Railroad Club). They required you to be a member. I'm sure there's curiosity as to why did I leave. I actually left both the club and the NMRA. To much politics in the club. So leaving the club ended my membership. Have no good reason not to join again. I guess I just don't want to.

Postby areibel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:19 pm

I am!

Postby gerhard_k » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:47 pm

I've been a member for a long time. I renew each year because I just feel that there is value in an umbrella organization like the NMRA, for the standards-setting, promotion of the hobby, and, if you're lucky enough to have a local region or division (with reasonable people as members - I understand, Bernd!), the chance for meeting and fellowship with other modelers. The annual dues are substantial, but to me, it's still worth it, in total.

No prejudice against those of you who feel otherwise... :hand:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.

Postby dwyaneward » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Was once, not now.
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing

Postby sacto-tt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 am

I'm a member.

Postby Richard-B » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:00 pm

I first joined in the early 1980's...
was the Editor of the Coast Division PCR NMRA Coast Dispatcher from 1988 to 1997...
rejoined in the mid-2000's after the divorce apocalypse..
was the editor of the previous NMRA TT SIG TT Empire from 2005 to 2009 (sporadically..)
and I'm now the Coast Division PCR NMRA Clinics Chair.

I've only attended a smattering of NMRA Nationals over the years... the Coast Division meets (and auction) are the primary reason for belonging, with about 120 attendees each quarter... about half of whom I know on a first-name basis.

Charlie Getz, the NMRA president is a Coast Division member... and shows-up at each meet, and many of the members of the On30 sectional group I'm part of (I know.. disloyalty to TT-scale!!!) are officers of the local Division.

All things said; I think it's worth the equivalent of 1 TT-scale car a year to belong...
You tend to get out of it what you put in.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Used to be one.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!

Postby modorney » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:43 am

I am a member. As Richard says, quarterly events are good - the morning is usually two good clinics, and the afternoon is an auction - which can be fun, since odd things come up, that you never see on e-bay. Plus an ongoing contest and evaluation environment.

Out of this group, I get to go to 1 or 2 operating sessions a month, plus get help from about 200 other modelers. Over a year, there are 2 or 3 regional conventions and events, which are about half the "stuff" of a national convention, for a tenth of the price. And, twice a week, I get to visit other modelers. NMRA is a good lead-in for round robins, etc., which gets you "good dibs" for the slot you want at the next operating session.

I like the Achievement Program, which makes me a better modeler. Plus, nationally, I like the guys who do Modeling With The Masters. Along with a dozen good friends on Facebook, etc.

Return to General Discussion