NMRA Convention X2011 in Sacramento

Re: NMRA Convention X2011 in Sacramento

Postby sacto-tt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 am

Greetings fellow TTers,

Here are a few more notes and a bit of news from the Convention.

I was unable to attend the 3D printing clinic and I did not manage to get in touch with the presenter - total failure by me - sorry about that. The reason I missed it was that I went on a tour of the UP Roseville Yard. I live right by it and have seen zillions of trains go through it, but the tour allowed us to check out their locomotive simulator and we also go to go to the Hump Yard. While we were there, we got to watch them hump about 25 cars. When I mean watch, I mean stand right next to the rails and watch as the cars rolled by while the operator pulled the cut levers and watch as the cars magically rolled onto each of their classification tracks.

Today there was a special event at the California State Railroad Museum. They made a "carpet cutting" announcement that there will be an NMRA sponsored Scale Model Railroading exhibit occupying 3/4 of the mezzanine area next to the Toy Train display. They also announced that there are future plans to have a Model Railroaing Museum built over in the area of the old SP shops along with a Railroad Technology Museum. Excellent news for the future. :dance:

Walthers announced a special SP Daylight E9 model (HO only for now - no plans for TT, I asked). $10 from each sale will go toward the exhibit development. I also got a chance to talk with Michael R. Stephens, the VP of Proprietary Product from Walthers. I told him of the work being done in TT and he thought that was great and told me that there was always a strong TT showing at the Nuremberg Train show (he even named several TT manufacturers so he really did know about it). I told him that some TT development by Walthers would be greatly appreciated, but he did point out that the American market was a little too small for their consideration. He did understand the virtues of TT and when we talked about manufacturiung he noted that the S Scale manufacturers had lost their Chinese connection and were probably going to be in trouble in the future.

A little follow up on the auction. The second time around I did see a Lionel Big Rugged Santa Fe F3. On a side note - I didn't win a single thing. :thumbdown:

The train show starts tomorrow, so I'll take a close look and see what there is to see.

That's it for now.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:08 am

sacto-tt wrote:......he noted that the S Scale manufacturers had lost their Chinese connection and were probably going to be in trouble in the future......

The small manufacturers of various scales are in trouble also. The Chinese rates went about 15% in the past year in they're raising their minimum limits for parts ordered.

Whatever, with their damn devalued currency they're screwing a lot of economies over anyway. Let's bring some manufacturing back to the states and employ some people!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sacto-tt » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Well, the convention is history. Overall it was pretty good. I never knew that there were so many S scale clubs around. I saw at least 6 S/Sn3 layouts at the show. Even though some European companies were there (Piko, Roco, Marklin), not a mention of TT anywhere.

Some of the guys looking around for manufacturing help probably know this, but... I spoke with NWSL to see what they were up to and to see if they were going to do an HOn3 versionj of their Stanton power Truck. No joy there, however they were reworking their Flea power truck, including a version with a remote motor mount via driveshaft. They are also looking to get into the power mechanism business. No real details yet, but the idea would be to create a milled aluminum frame with truck mounts and a centrally mounted motor that anyone could place their own shell on. The trucks could have variable spacing and the frame would be narrow enough for TT. No pricing details as of yet.

My losing ways continued as I didn't win a single daily door prize or any at the awards ceremony last night.

One encouraging note: A number of the manufacturers are well aware of the efforts of TTers. When I mentioned TT scale to them, several mentioned the various websites (TTNUT in particular) and thought that a lot of good work was being done. At least one specifically mentioned the Uboat.

Hooray for everyone's efforts!! :clap:
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:29 pm

sacto-tt wrote:One encouraging note: A number of the manufacturers are well aware of the efforts of TTers. When I mentioned TT scale to them, several mentioned the various websites (TTNUT in particular) and thought that a lot of good work was being done. At least one specifically mentioned the Uboat.

Hooray for everyone's efforts!! :clap:

That's very cool! I guess they're watching us do the dirty work and when it's time, they'll overwhelm us little guys with their corporate might :wink:

Who were the companies keeping track of TT? And who's keeping track of the U Boat? If it's Atlas,

"Dear Atlas,

I need a good deal on 25 N scale motors. You know where to find me.

Sincerely,

Me"

:lol:
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I hope if Atlas will produce, for example, TT-scale Alco RS-serie diesel, they will get a little bit more than 25 units.

...maybe even 250 :lol:
Arseny

Postby sacto-tt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:28 pm

One of the main companies that was following TT was NWSL. I spoke to their president, David Rygmyr, and he was the one that told me about the power chassis and the reworking of the Flea. They're trying to expand their HOn3 (and other narrow gauge) support. Anything that works on HOn3 might be easily reworked to support TT without too much effort. The main problem is the lack of available stuff and the cost. Hmm, seems familiar.

I didn't talk to Atlas or Athearn about TT. I did speak with Tangent (They make really nice HO stuff). He was the one that mentioned the U-boat. Everyone I spoke with said if there was a bigger market that they would take a closer look. It took S Scale years before any companies started really making their products and several of them have died painful deaths inthe meantime.

I think Elmer and several of the other guys that have tried to make a go of it have seen the problem. There just isn't a great ROI for TT scale in the U.S. Felix at Gold Coast makes really nice stuff, but he is massively behind on his current projects. Probably due to the Chinese manufacturing problems.

Probably the only way to really get any company to move on something would be to show them that there is an established base that is willing to buy the products. The problem is that nowadays people want to take things out of the box and start using it. It would take a real company to do all the stuff to make that happen and that would require a pretty big investment.

Totally Catch-22. We need some a nice variety of quality products to get people interested in TT. BUT, we can't get those products until is is clear that there is a good customer base to buy those products. :problem:

Anyone know the sales figures for Lok-N-Roll's RTR TT stuff?
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 pm

I contacted NWSL looking for possible parts specifically for the U Boat. They replied, I told them exactly what I need and asked if they have anything available as a solution. Never heard back.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion