NMRA 2014 Convention in Cleveland, Ohio

Re: NMRA 2014 Convention in Cleveland, Ohio

Postby rdikken » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:41 am

Hi TT-fans,
I will be at NMRA, in place of Alex. I will be showing the MTB tank cars on a small layout and a few other things. Hope to see there!

Ciao,
Rob Dikken
rdikken

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am

rdikken wrote:Hi TT-fans,
I will be at NMRA, in place of Alex. I will be showing the MTB tank cars on a small layout and a few other things. Hope to see there!

Ciao,
Rob Dikken

Please take plenty of pictures to share.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:03 am

Friday 18 July my sister and her husband drove me from western Ohio to Cleveland to see the NMRA show. I'm staying with my mother who has no computer or internet, so this is being sent Saturday from the local library.

Instead of spending the weekend at the show helping Alex, I spent the afternoon talking with Rob Dikken who was impersonating Alex at the TT scale display. I brought 15 - 20 of the brochures about TT scale which we usually hand out at the shows. At the end of the day all were gone. I passed the PDF of the brochure on to Rob's wife Bernadine who might be able to print more for the rest of the weekend.

Rob had a non-functioning HP Products steamer on display, and for the entire afternoon ran an MTB SW1200 non-stop pulling a few tank cars. The track was all from Kuehn.

I was impressed by the size of the show, but my sister overheard some participants saying that there were fewer vendors than at previous shows, and attendance was not overwhelming. Probably attendance will be better on the weekend days when people are off work.

There was a surprising number of displays in Z scale. The layouts were beautiful and the trains ran well. Particularly fascinating was a Z scale locomotive made by 3D printing.

-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC01963R.JPG
DSC01969R.JPG
DSC01970R.JPG
DSC02050R.JPG
DSC02035R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 am

Touring the show I encountered a few interesting products and asked whether they could be made in TT scale. Some makers were not interested in catering to such a small or non-existent market. For example, a display of beautiful etched brass models, like signals and bridge structures will not be seen in TT scale.

On the other hand the maker of laser cut wood structures had every scale available except TT, but he said he was willing to re-size the computer set-up to do TT for a reasonable number of orders -say a dozen items, or so.
http://www.creativelaserdesign.com

Also of interest were some really nice ready-made wood modules. The company hand-out says 'No rail joiners required. Kam Konnect's patent pending technology for joining tables ensures your tables will be Dimensionally Stable. There are large dowels to align tables. A rotating cam tightly draws tables together.'

I asked the vendor about the electrical connections between modules and he said they use commonly available connectors made for hook-ups between automobiles and trailers. He also showed me some modules which had extra depth at the ends of the side pieces to permit stacking the modules. I asked whether their modules were being used by clubs and he said yes, they were.

As far as I can tell, the modules are simply butted together and a turn of a cam fastens them in perfect alignment with completed electrical connection.

http://www.kamkonnect.com

-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC02012R.JPG
DSC02025R.JPG
DSC02027R.JPG
DSC02028R.JPG
Last edited by dileTTante on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:26 am

I always enjoy your show reports, Terry. Thanks.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Arseny » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:33 pm

dileTTante wrote:the maker of laser cut wood structures had every scale available except TT, but he said he was willing to re-size the computer set-up to do TT for a reasonable number of orders -say a dozen items, or so.
http://www.creativelaserdesign.com

Hmm, I like these buildings.
If he resize them in TT, I would like to order some - such as "Frank J. Schultz and Son", "Vern’s Repair", "Hotel", "Store", or "The Lyndon Freight House".
Should I send a request to him to order? Or it would be better if you collect some united pool of orders?
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Nice! Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the pics - keep them coming. Have you guys met any actual TTers?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:21 pm

I can post a few more photos of the show in general, but that will be in a day or so after I've sorted the pictures and get back here to the internet at the local library. I don't think you'll be getting much from Rob who was there all weekend, and I was at the show only Friday afternoon. In that brief time I heard the usual things from visitors - 'I remember TT scale' and 'I've just started in N scale, so I won't be changing scales.' And other comments that are said at every show. Talk is plentiful, action not.

If one orders a wooden structure in TT scale, then it's unlikely to get filled. A few others would have to send in orders for the same thing before the guy will adjust his computer program. That's just my guess. I think it would be better for people to agree on one or two structures at first and then send in the orders all at once. It would not be necessary for one person to handle the combined orders, just needs enough people wanting the same item at the same time. I model German railways so I won't be part of this. I'd like to see the guy get some TT interest just to make him aware that TT exists. It's an insult not to see TT listed with all the other scales. Then, with TT mentioned on his web site, and shown on his banner at train shows, more people will learn that TT exists and has some support.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby rdikken » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 am

Hi everybody,

I have left Cleveland and I am enjoying Chicago. Didn't had too much time during the fair to take pictures, but I will give you what I have. Oh and the picture are un-edited. More important I have about 80 small interviews regarding TT. Will analyse them this week and present here the results.

Ciao,
Rob
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
rdikken

Postby rdikken » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 am

Next