NMRA 2014 Convention in Cleveland, Ohio

Re: NMRA 2014 Convention in Cleveland, Ohio

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 am

I'm making it a priority to be at this show. Interested about the module ideas. The possibility of having something big in TT is super exciting. If nothing else, I'll be there with my own layout. Cheers!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:34 am

I am sure you must add some scenery to your layout. Some buildings, trees, automobiles, people figures, etc.
It will make it more interesting.

And also take some American stuff - cars, locomotives... I beleive, most of visitors have never seen TT-scale stuff "in real life", even if they know something about TT, "in theory". It will be attractive if you'll show some American cars, not European ones.
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Yup - gotta have more American. I have to start putting together all the various kits I have so I have an American fleet for shows. For the layout, I'll do some things but no major changes.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Right now we are looking into building at least 6 more 4' x 2' modules to make the layout for the 2014 NTS into a donut shaped layout, so that I can be inside of it to avoid some of the problems I had at the 2013 NTS.

Of course the original five modules are being refitted and the 2' x 2' modules are having inner loops of 310mm added, all modules that are expected to go between the two will have three mains.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Myself, I'll do what I can to get to the show, but it'll require peak season fares for cross continent travel, a major challenge to my budget. Based on my limited experience -just the shows in Vancouver - I suggest reserving space for any and all TT layouts together in one area.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Re: TT scale modules

Postby railtwister » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:25 pm

When I started doing HO modules back in 1985, the usual size of 2' x 4' modules standing on 2x2 legs set at 42" from floor to railhead seemed to be the norm. As I have gotten older over the years, I have learned that those modules only get heavier and more cumbersome to carry about and set-up/break-down with every passing year.

In the past couple of years, I have become a big fan of the table-top modules as developed by Lee Monaco Fitzgerald's T-Trak in N scale, that are designed to be set up on banquet tables, rather than requiring their own leg assemblies. This not only saves weight but puts the modules at a better viewing height for the younger audience, and since the Kato Unijoiners are what hold the modules together, it also eliminates the need for nuts, bolts, and c-clamps. Setting the modules up on banquet tables also makes them easier to operate while sitting in a chair, something my back has come to greatly appreciate. With the availability of the Tillig "Bedding Track" TT scale, which also uses the Kato Unijoiners, the same concepts used in N scale T-Trak can be applied to TT modules, as has been demonstrated by Bill Dixon with his exceptional TT-Tracks modules.

Alex's TT display in Atlanta was right next to the N scale T-Trak layout, hopefully he was able to see for himself how much more streamlined the set-up and breakdown process was with the T-Trak display compared to other module systems (such as my HO club's modules which were a much more time consuming and back-breaking ordeal (mostly due to lack of manpower).

I am also involved with a group building On30 modules, as well as having built some T-Trak modules in both N-scale and TT. I have already built eight TT-Tracks modules that form a small portable test layout using the TT-Tracks concept, but my progress stalled when I got to the wiring, since I didn't really have any decent American style motive power to run on them yet. Fortunately, Mark is coming to the rescue with the upcoming SW switchers from CSD, and as soon as they are available, I'm sure my enthusiasm will be fired up and I'll be back to work on my own TT-Tracks modules.

Atlanta is almost exactly 1/2 way from Ft. Lauderdale to Cleveland (and I thought this show was a long haul!), but I would certainly consider trying to make Cleveland if there were going to be other TT-Tracks style modules there!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 am

ConducTTor wrote:Yup - gotta have more American. I have to start putting together all the various kits I have so I have an American fleet for shows. For the layout, I'll do some things but no major changes.

I think, major changes are not necessary. Your laout is good, track plan is good. Just add some trees, autos, peoples to enliven it.

And... don't you think that your station building looks too European? You planned to remove wooden slats?
Arseny

Re: TT scale modules

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 pm

railtwister wrote:Atlanta is almost exactly 1/2 way from Ft. Lauderdale to Cleveland (and I thought this show was a long haul!), but I would certainly consider trying to make Cleveland if there were going to be other TT-Tracks style modules there!

Bill in FtL
Thanks to Bill Dixon we have used TT Tracks modules. I think more people would use TT Tracks if they saw in person how easy it is to set up the modules and operate. We were the first ones running trains at the last show.

However, if just one or two people show up with a few modules then you won't have a layout. Either count on several people with enough modules for a layout, or each person must build and bring enough modules to make a layout independently. This was the problem when Bill Dixon boycotted one train show. We had no TT Tracks layout because all I had to bring were modules to make a staging yard to attach to Bill's layout.

Another consideration is the difference between North American and European track and scenery. Trying to impress North American modelers with European styles won't do. So it's natural that people will want to build displays closer to North American styles -as Bill Dixon is tending to do. Me who has a roster of entirely German rail, I'm already feeling out of place when thinking about participating at a show. So I'm considering a TT diorama of my own to avoid the compromise and to have a way to run trains if there's no other TT at a show. This isn't the way to encourage the use of TT modules.

Further against group participation is whether the trains have the same couplers and whether they run on DC or DCC.

Another consideration is the track. The TT Tracks standard uses Tillig bedding track because the Unitrak joiners keep the modules together. The bedding track turnouts work but not well and the track certainly doesn't look North American. Bill Dixon has dealt with this by using flex track and keeping bedding track only at the ends of the modules for the joiners.

When we didn't have Bill's layout I made a crude oval by gluing flex track and road bed to strips of foam core board. This was essentially making sectional track pieces from flex track. The connectors are common rail joiners. I used velcro to hold the sections together. It actually works. I think TT Tracks style modules could work without using bedding track and Unitrak joiners. The styrofoam sections can be held together with velcro at the edges.

I will try to make something with this method for our train show in November. It would have to be a very modest setup. If things work out then perhaps I can bring it to Cleveland.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Perhaps we can swamp the next NTS with TT trains!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Arseny wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Yup - gotta have more American. I have to start putting together all the various kits I have so I have an American fleet for shows. For the layout, I'll do some things but no major changes.

I think, major changes are not necessary. Your laout is good, track plan is good. Just add some trees, autos, peoples to enliven it.

And... don't you think that your station building looks too European? You planned to remove wooden slats?

I'll remove the Auhagen shed that I'm using right now and replace it with the station kit that Sazmodel will be selling soon (it's the "other" building on some of the pictures from the show).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events