NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 am

The next NMRA National Convention is going to be held this July 14th-20th, 2013, and I think it is time that some discussion is done in regards to it.

Who else is planning on going?

Here is the link to the page itself for the convention: http://www.nmra2013.org

I plan on having a TT layout for the Train Show that accompanies the convention (and possibly some other stuff on display, such as Possum Central #42 "Cheyenne" as well).

I am working on the possibility of having to build a complete set of modules myself, using the "TTnut" standard, as well as a "display yard module" to show off some items of rolling stock as well, as well as a possible specialized "Duchess" module.

I would like to ask for a modification to the "TTnut" standard though, to allow for the construction of 90' modules, to allow for an expanded "ring" (as well as work better for my proposed "home" layouts, as well as make transport easier for me). If I build such 90' modules, I will ensure that they will still meet standards and that they work properly.

EDIT: Spelling and grammar.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:02 pm

I will def be there in some capacity - not sure what capacity that is yet. If you want to mod the TTNut standards pls post in the appropriate topic :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm

It ought to be in the capacity of a TT scale exhibitor. You made us do it. And yes we want photos.
dileTTante

Postby areibel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, we all can head down and crash at the Boss's place for a week!
:wtf:
areibel

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:54 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:... I am working on the possibility of having to build a complete set of modules myself, using the "TTnut" standard... I would like to ask for a modification to the "TTnut" standard...

Feel free to modify as you see fit. I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that the TTnut module standard is pretty much abandoned. I would recommend using on of the German standards instead.

As far as the convention is concerned; I'll have to see about making it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 pm

areibel wrote:Yeah, we all can head down and crash at the Boss's place for a week!
:wtf:

C'mon down! If we run out of beds, there's always the train room (tragedy!).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:01 pm

dileTTante wrote:..............You made us do it................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :mrgreen:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm

It might be a good idea to check their policy about service animals.

After reading about plan to use TTNut module, I read through the thread where the standard was established, which was done before I joined TTNut. Question now is why is it considered abandoned and why would European module standard be better? It would be nice if there is some agreement for compatibility since actual gatherings of TT nuts are becoming more likely.

Also, I assume that it's possible to attend the NMRA convention without being an NMRA member. Is it possible? The NMRA shows in Vancouver are open to the public.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:48 pm

dileTTante wrote: Question now is why is it considered abandoned and why would European module standard be better? It would be nice if there is some agreement for compatibility since actual gatherings of TT nuts are becoming more likely.

Simply because not a single person has used it yet. I don't consider it abandoned - more like a starting point that will mature if/when some of us on this continent decide to build modules meant to be connected at some point. If I remember correctly, a lot of it came from the NMRA TT modules standards.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I am confused about 90' modules? Do you mean 90' of modules, 90 scale foot modules (which would be 9 inches), or is it supposed to be 90" modules (7'6")?

For a show where you must travel a great distance just to get there, I still think the best solution is the TT Tracks table top modules that use the Tillig bedding track with Kato UniJoiners, as described in other threads by Bill Dixon. With that system the modules can be small, lightweight, and easy to transport, without the need to build, set up, and carry leg assemblies, since they are designed to just sit on folding banquet tables.

With the NMRA show only 8 months away, there's not a lot of time, even if you start working today! My HO scale module club is planning on going to Atlanta, we took our modules there in 1995 and had a great time! Some of our modules are getting pretty old, as they were built in 1995, but they require a lot of support equipment like legs, curtains, stand off rope & stanchion arms, etc., so we have to rent a large box-body truck to transport them.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Next

Return to General Discussion