NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Re: NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Postby CSD » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Arseny wrote:Can you tell few words about the prototype?

It is a Canadian National class 3 station with second floor addition. This one is based on the one that stands in Langley BC, but this type was common throughout western Canada. It was built in 1915 and extended in 1918.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby areibel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:44 pm

CSD wrote:Made it home safe and sound. .

Dang border guards! I'd bribed them to declare the SW1200's contraband and seize them for me. :lol:
areibel

Postby railtwister » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:16 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
dileTTante wrote:show staff are volunteers, right?

Yes I believe they are.

Most are volunteers, but I believe there is at least one paid person (if not a couple) in charge. Also, many of the middle level volunteers are the same from year to year (and I believe they may get some perks like free rooms or travel reimbursement), while a lot of the lower echelon people are locals who are unpaid.

The train show and the convention are two separate things, the convention is run by the local group or club that put in the bid at least 4 years prior, while the NMRA runs the train show. This arrangement was reached several years ago in the hopes of providing better continuity to the train shows. In general, things go pretty smoothly, but there seems to always be little snafus along the way.

Overall, they are always fun events, some more so than others.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:55 pm

So now that everybody is home and rested, I hope, how about a couple of after action reports.
What worked, what didn't, what would you do different next time, what did you see?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 am

My report is on page 11 of this topic.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

ConducTTor wrote:My report is on page 11 of this topic.

Thank you, I missed that.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CSD » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 pm

A few of my own picture from Atlanta.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby j p » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 pm

LVG1 wrote:
dileTTante wrote:Guess I'll have to switch to G scale to get a TEE.

In the 1980's a little manufacturer from Horn-Bad Meinberg in Germany made carbodies and—I think—also truck covers for this type of train. They were to be colored and mounted on BTTB chassis. Decals were also available. Conversion instructions (in German) were published in an issue of "TT-Kurier". A copy of this issue was included in those conversion kits.
I don't know if there are conversion kits still available. But at least there is a chance to find some and get a TEE train in TT scale this way.

Google can find it
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:20 am

Well, I suppose it is time for our "postmortem" of the Possum Central Railroad display at the 2013 NTS.

The good:
1.) This NTS has had the most TT stuff on display in a good many years. The only TT scale stuff at the last NTS that I went to was Zeke, and I was carrying him around to show off (too bad the photo of Zeke with Matt Bown of Extreme Trains did not turn out...)

2.) There were a lot of people showing interest in TT scale, with some offers for some of my collection on the spot (I had somebody offer $1500 for the layout with my Lionel/Lok-N-Roll F-3 and my Tri-Ang trains, but I turned them down).

3.) The display boards and pamphlets really seemed to have a postive impact with many people, especially the crowd that shunned HO scale, but disliked N for being too small.

4.) The sheet plastic did a wonderful job of making the layout safe, and yet visible.

5.) Woodland scenics had a WONDERFUL booth with large bags of landscaping supplies for only $10 each (such as a big bag of 25 trees, roadmaking sets, and a bag with 72 feet of N scale roadbed. Plenty of stuff for more modules, now if ETH would only get more track in stock...)

The bad:
1.) Some people tried to argue that "TT scale=N scale", or "TT scale = Z Scale", and other nonsense arguments.

2.) During shipping, two of the sheet plastic sections cracked due to my semi-classic truck (1989 Ford Ranger with approximately 500,000 miles on it) having to make a very hard stop on I-20 due to people being stupid and trying to play chicken with a semi-truck.

3.) Said rapid stop did some damage to the Camp Crystal Lake module as well.

4.) Not enough space dedicated to displaying TT scale trains on the layout.

The ugly:
1.) Some people tried to force their way into the roped off section of the display (where the seats are), almost causing me to have a panic attack due to my PTSD and related claustrophobia.

2.) The damage to the Camp Crystal Lake module imposed limits on what could be run on the inner loop.

3.) I was unable to display all that I originally planned on, as we are still unpacking from our recent move, so my HP 4-8-2 headed passenger train was unable to be shown.

4.) Atlanta traffic, 'nuff said.

The awesome:
1.) Being able to run and evaluate the MTB SW1200 and have one in PRR paint "pace" my Lok-N-Roll/Lionel F-3 was AWESOME!

2.) Natasha's company helped out greatly when I needed it.

3.) Being able to meet other TTnutters, especially ConducTTor and CSD was also AWESOME!

4.) Being able to get snacks and beer and such while running TT scale trains was also awesome.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Arseny » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:21 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:a very hard stop on I-20 due to people being stupid and trying to play chicken with a semi-truck.

How is it possible? I was sure that all the interstate highways in the USA have separated opposing directions of travel, separated by a central reservation, a traffic barrier or just a strip of grass...

Or maybe I do not understand well what does it mean "play chicken"? Move towards each other until one of players turn aside, isn't it?

AngrySailor302 wrote:Camp Crystal Lake module

Hmm... Is it allusion to the "Friday the 13th" film?
Do you already have a TT-killer?.. :o

AngrySailor302 wrote:Atlanta traffic, 'nuff said.

Did you ever visit New York ...or Moscow? :lol:
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion