NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Re: NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Postby railtwister » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 pm

I got back to Ft. Lauderdale from the Atlanta Trainshow Monday afternoon at about 6:30PM, completely exhausted from an 11+ hours long drive and a very enjoyable week of model railroading. I especially enjoyed meeting some of the TTNut.com group members, and seeing the new SW switcher in person (can't wait!).

My HO module club was probably the last group out of the trainshow building at 10PM Sunday night after what can only be described as "the teardown from hell". The club isn't normally as disorganized as we were this trip (really!), which was due in part to our having brought along a bunch of new modules, which combined with the fact that many of our members were unable to attend at the last minute, thus increasing the workload on those who could attend. For a while, it looked like we were going to get locked in at the convention center!

Looking back, now that all of our modules are safely home in Miami and the show is behind us, I'm glad we got to get back to Atlanta again (we also took our modules to the NMRA show in 1995), and even though I was somewhat disappointed because a lot of manufacturers and vendors I had hoped to see this year didn't make it, it was a pretty good show overall. The 2017 National Trainshow and NMRA convention is scheduled to be in Orlando, Florida, and will be held in conjunction with Disney, so mark your calendars because it should be a terrific event!

Bill in FtL
Last edited by railtwister on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Glad you got home ok Bill :thumbup: :wave:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 am

Those in charge of the convention center sure seemed to not have a functioning brain among them.

For example, we did not get our tear-down loading pass until around 5:20, when the show ended at 5:00, then there was the fact that we had our booth right next to the loading dock, and getting ourselves moved out would make it easier for others to leave, the convention center workers stood around like turkeys in the rain (literally).
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby LVG1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 am

dileTTante wrote:Guess I'll have to switch to G scale to get a TEE.

In the 1980's a little manufacturer from Horn-Bad Meinberg in Germany made carbodies and—I think—also truck covers for this type of train. They were to be colored and mounted on BTTB chassis. Decals were also available. Conversion instructions (in German) were published in an issue of "TT-Kurier". A copy of this issue was included in those conversion kits.
I don't know if there are conversion kits still available. But at least there is a chance to find some and get a TEE train in TT scale this way.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby railtwister » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 am

CaTTwoman281 wrote:Those in charge of the convention center sure seemed to not have a functioning brain among them.

For example, we did not get our tear-down loading pass until around 5:20, when the show ended at 5:00, then there was the fact that we had our booth right next to the loading dock, and getting ourselves moved out would make it easier for others to leave, the convention center workers stood around like turkeys in the rain (literally).

You would think that for all the years they've been doing these shows that they would have it figured out by now. Since our setup was in the back, away from the entry doors, we were told that we would be loaded in first, at noon on Wednesday. However, no one was allowed in the building without first obtaining their show credentials, but the credentials room didn't open until (you guessed it) noon on Wednesday. By 11:30AM it looked like there was already 100 people waiting outside the closed doors of the credentials office, and when the doors did open, it looked like there were only two or three people handling the registration process. Meanwhile, back at the loading door, a large trailer pulls up, and starts backing in, without having credentials. A discussion between the show personnel began, but the trailer was allowed to enter and begin unloading their modules, between our designated space and the door. Fortunately, our truck and driver arrived with the credentials before they had time to completely block all access to our space with their modules, but we did have to unload our truck and carry everything around their stuff to get to our space. Fortunately, all of our stuff was on wheeled dollies, so it was easier than it could have been. When it came time to tear down and bring the truck inside to be loaded, our driver was turned away from the door several times (I believe three times) and had to re-park the truck. Unfortunately, since he was also the module co-ordinator, this meant he was away from our modules during some critical times of the tear down, and was unable to properly co-ordinate the loading of the modules. Normally, we can break the modules down and be out of a facility in about 2-1/2 hours, but at this show, it took about 5-1/2 hours. At 10PM, we carried everything just outside the loading door, and spent at least a half hour finishing the loading of our truck in the poorly lit parking lot. When we drove away, there were still people inside the center and the doors were still open, so all the rush to clear the hall by ten PM only served to slow us down loading up and getting out.

However, it is all behind us now, and overall, I think we had a good time, and was worth the couple of thousand dollars it cost the club to display at the show. I just wish the setup and tear-down could have gone a bit smoother (which it seems like it did in '95).

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:09 am

LVG1 wrote:But at least there is a chance to find some and get a TEE train in TT scale this way.
Thanks for this information. Unfortunately it sound like TT -- (T)ypical (T)T= do it the hard way.

railtwister wrote:You would think that for all the years they've been doing these shows that they would have it figured out by now.
Oh, maybe I don't want to go to the Cleveland show after all. But keep in mind show staff are volunteers, right?
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 am

dileTTante wrote:show staff are volunteers, right?

Yes I believe they are.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:52 am

Made it home safe and sound. The National Train Show was a great time! As mentioned, there was a lot of talking to be done over the 3 days. I too was surprised by how many people recognised TT for what it was and had even dabled in it at one time or another. This event marked a 200% increase in TT related displays over last years!

It was good to put faces to names and real names to those names. A good group all around. I look forward to seeing you all again (hopefully in Ohio). Big thanks to my hosts, Mr. and Mrs. ConducTTor!

A couple SazModel related notes: The white and green station in the pictures should soon be available, The KBmodel water tower is in stock as well as a couple of short bridges (just need to get final pricing and it will be active on the store) and the SW1200 should be ready to go at the end of August.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:38 pm

CSD wrote:Made it home safe and sound.

:thumbup: :wave:

CSD wrote:The white and green station in the pictures should soon be available

This thing is gorgeous. As soon as I get mine I'm replacing my freight shed with it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:06 pm

CSD wrote:A couple SazModel related notes: The white and green station in the pictures should soon be available

Can you tell few words about the prototype?
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion