NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Re: NMRA 2013 Convention in Atlanta, GA

Postby jmass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:20 pm

i agree with Bill, as the focus of attention should be on whats running on the tracks and not the tracks themselves. with all the new freight cars and the posibilty of a couple of new loco, i think thats whats important. if i can get down there, ill bring the beer!
jmass

Postby dileTTante » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

railtwister wrote:I am confused about 90' modules? Do you mean 90' of modules, 90 scale foot modules (which would be 9 inches), or is it supposed to be 90" modules (7'6")?

That's why I read through the thread about the TTNut modules. I think he means 90 degrees. Instead of making 180 degree curve modules which are put 90 degrees to the side modules, A-S wants to make separate 90 degree modules. Together they would make a module of 180 degree curve but when separated the ends make a rectangular layout with 90 degree corners and straights along sides and ends.

My suggestion for TT at the show is to keep it simple and make sure everything works. It's a prime time event and TT should look its best.

Without a car I can't easily attend shows away from where I live, but I visit my family in Ohio about once a year and extending the trip for a day or two in Atlanta is an attractive idea. Do you have to be a member of NMRA to attend?
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
dileTTante wrote: Question now is why is it considered abandoned and why would European module standard be better? It would be nice if there is some agreement for compatibility since actual gatherings of TT nuts are becoming more likely.

Simply because not a single person has used it yet.

I built a 4'x2' module to those specs, but I guess that since I am married, I do not count as the "single person" as per above, huh?

90' = 90 degrees. If I knew of a better way to express 90 degrees than as 90', I would.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:52 pm

dileTTante wrote:Do you have to be a member of NMRA to attend?
-Terry C.

No, just pay the "visitor" admission price, which is higher than the member price.
AstroGoat760

Postby LVG1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:90' = 90 degrees. If I knew of a better way to express 90 degrees than as 90', I would.

Here in Europe it's usually written this way: 90°
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby railtwister » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

Well, it took a few seconds of playing with my keyboard, but I found all kinds of interesting symbols are available by holding down the "ALT" key (instead of the shift key, but same idea) while you type a letter. The degree symbol is "ALT/0". I sort of knew stuff like this was possible, but have always been too lazy to seek it out.

As for the NMRA Convention, members get into the National Train Show for free, while the general public pays an admission fee. The actual convention is separate from the train show and includes clinics, layout tours, prototype tours and social events. Membership is usually required to attend the convention part (usually held during the days before the train show, but it depends a lot on the host committee), but the easy way around that is to sign up for the "Railpass" temporary trial membership, which is only $9.95, and is good for 6 months. The hope is that you'll like it and support the organization by upgrading to a full membership at the end of the 6 month period.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:51 pm

railtwister wrote:Well, it took a few seconds of playing with my keyboard, but I found all kinds of interesting symbols are available by holding down the "ALT" key (instead of the shift key, but same idea) while you type a letter. The degree symbol is "ALT/0". I sort of knew stuff like this was possible, but have always been too lazy to seek it out.

Bill in FtL

I did not know such things were possible, but holding ALT and then typing 0 does nothing on my computer at all.

All this time on my hands and I still end up nowhere...
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Same here. Alt + 0 = < 0 (nothing)
Tell me why I should support NMRA when they don't support TT scale. Local NMRA just laugh at us, although they let us exhibit at their shows.
dileTTante

Postby Marquette » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm

On a Windows computer hold down Alt and type 0176 (then release Alt) to get °.

Caveat: this will work only on a full-size keyboard, using the number pad; make sure Num Lock is on.

You can do it on a laptop too, but it's more complicated and differs from machine to machine. On mine, I have to first press Fn+F11 to turn Num Lock on, then I have to type the Alt+mj7o - because Num Lock turns that part of the regular keyboard into a keypad. Then you have to remember to turn Num Lock off again.

symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html shows the various characters you can get using the Alt codes on a Windows computer with standard English encoding.

I suspect the Alt + 0 is a Mac thing?

There is a way to do this in Linux... but I can't remember it. The Alt codes are Windoze-specific so they don't work in *nix.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm

According to some web page for linux --
''hold down Ctrl+Shift and type u00b0......It will actually type the u00b0 until you complete and then it will form the degree symbol like so: ° ''

It works but typing the word 'degree' is easier.

And I guess I would support NMRA just because they helped create an international standard for DCC.
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion