Newbie looking for track, controller, etc

Newbie looking for track, controller, etc

Postby shawncochran » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:54 pm

I feel like I've just joined a support group. I bought my very first TT train (a Piko ICE 3 - very excited about this) and I want to build a very small starter track (think a 360 around the Christmas tree) to get my 11 year old son interested in model trains. I just took my wife to Germany for the first time and she rode the ICE and loved the DB -- so there's something in this for her too! Anyway, I formerly did HO and N but TT is a superb scale and I'd like to start with a beginner setup to whet their whistle so to speak. Ideally the track would be on railbeds with connectors and a single power point somewhere.
(1) does anyone have any used power controllers, rail bed, rail, etc they would be interested in selling me?
(2) if not, can anyone point me to a website that is US-based (preferably) that can help me build what I have described?
(3) are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?
Thanking this forum in advance.... Shawn Cochran, Aurora, CO, USA
shawncochran

Re: Newbie looking for track, controller, etc

Postby Bernd » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi Shawn.

Welcome to the forum. I'm surprised nobody has answered yet. I'm sort of new to TT also. There is track available but I'm not the familiar with it. Also I've seen a place you can order bedded rail but can't remember right now. They are US based.

How about it guys. Here's a new member looking for help. Let's not let him down.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Shawn,
And Welcome!
There aren't many places in the US that handle TT (unfortunately) but Eurotrain Hobby is one. If you watch the banner ads at the top of the page here they'll pop up, or here's a link to their Tillig bedding track section-
http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/bedding-track-tt/c177 He also has regular track, my only suggestion is to get the bigger radius curves especially if you're running longer cars.
Eurotrain can get most TT, but the thing is sometimes you'll have to wait for an order before he'll have it in stock.
There are also several shops in Europe that you can deal with, I'll have to defer to others as to which is the best. Their prices may seem higher, but most will give a substantial discount since anything getting shipped out of the EU doesn't have to include their VAT tax.
If you have an HO power pack that will work fine for TT, or any hobby shop should be able to set you up. My test loop uses an ancient MRC transformer I got with some of my first HO trains many years ago. Same if you decide to go DCC, you can use small HO or N scale decoders in a TT loco and can even do sound if you like.
Pitfalls? not many, except it's more addictive than most anything else I know of! You've already found the best place to get started (here!) so any other questions ask away!
areibel

Postby Arseny » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Hello Shawn!
Welcome to the forum and to TT.
I am Russian, so it's difficult for me to recommend you American shops, but try Eurotrain Hobby (http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/tt-scale/c105 )
Also you can order TT from German and/or Czech, or Polish websites, TT is popular there.
As concerns power controller - you can use any power controller, what you like, intended for H0- or N-scale trains.

Good luck!
Arseny

Postby shawncochran » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you very much for the responses. I am ordering a track circle tonight -- and it's great to know my HO and N transformers are okay to use.... since I have them!
shawncochran

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Greetings, Shawn!

Are you looking into North American proto TT? If so I would recommend the MTB SW1200.

Also, are you looking for RTR or are you open to scratch build/kitbash?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:03 pm

The ICE 3 is great - but it looks good going fast so maybe a bit more track than a small circle?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:02 am

I can think of one pitfall - the traction tires on Piko ICE3 do not like to stay in their place - at least on my set.
You may need to replace them later. http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/ could help.

Regarding Bernd's comment:
Also I've seen a place you can order bedded rail but can't remember right now.

You don't have to remember because this board has a search function.
j p

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am

j p wrote:Regarding Bernd's comment:
Also I've seen a place you can order bedded rail but can't remember right now.

You don't have to remember because this board has a search function.

I tried that and came up 500 and some finds. If you can't remember the name it's hard to do a search. I'm sure it's happened to you at times. Sign of old age. :wink:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:33 pm

j p wrote:I can think of one pitfall - the traction tires on Piko ICE3 do not like to stay in their place - at least on my set.

I bought my set specifically to take to shows because kids love it. Have run it multiple times at high speeds for hours at a time - zero problems.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade