New TT couplers from Kuehn and Roco

New TT couplers from Kuehn and Roco

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:14 am

Kuehn has (for a month or two now) introduced a modified version of the Tillig coupler. It includes a small "extension" at the bottom:

Kuehn_coupler.jpg
Kuehn_coupler.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 592 times

Roco seems to have introduced a whole new type of coupler:

Just curious if anyone has any experience with either and what your opinions are.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: New TT couplers from Kuehn and Roco

Postby Zs12 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 pm

The "new" Roco coupler is just the old Fleischmann - looks and works quite good! But Roco's coupler is unfortunately incompatible with all others, the new Tillig and Kühn and also with the old BTTB/Tillig standard coupler.

Kühn's coupler is a fine mod of the known Tillig coupler inspired by a small patch from Digitalzentrale.

I'm sorry, my english is'nt the best one. :oops:
Zs12

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 pm

lüTTe wrote:The "new" Roco coupler is just the old Fleischmann - looks and works quite good! But Roco's coupler is unfortunately incompatible with all others, the new Tillig and Kühn and also with the old BTTB/Tillig standard coupler.

That's what I figured. I'm not sure what the point is though. Even if it's ultimately a better solution, who is going to replace a full collection of couplers given that many people just recently finished updating from the BTTB version (I'm still in the process...)?

lüTTe wrote:Kühn's coupler is a fine mod of the known Tillig coupler inspired by a small patch from Digitalzentrale.

Aha! For the non German readers (non Google translator users :mrgreen: ), it fixes the issue of coupling when the couplers are not exactly aligned vertically.

lüTTe wrote:I'm sorry, my english is'nt the best one. :oops:

It's perfectly fine. Thanks for the info!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 pm

And to think, recently at the TT-Board live chat we were talking about couplers, and some got interested when I mentioned the Microtrains N scale couplers I use.

I'd likely use those even if I did/do European proto, since at least they *look* like a real coupler of some sort, and they have been used in limited numbers in Europe (I'm thinking of coal gons in Hungary and probably elsewhere, too...)
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Zs12 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 pm

I have fished the replacement a while ago and I'm content with the new Tillig couplers ... mostly. Roco's coupler is not much better (except for frequently shunting/switching), but finer because in fact it's N-scale.
Last edited by Zs12 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zs12

Postby SimonBoulton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:17 pm

I've got some experience of the Fleischmann profi coupler and they are very good, look nice and work well. Would be a fair bit of work fitting them to old BTTB models etc I think though. Seem to recall that Fleischmann produce a load of mounting accessaries in N that might help.. :think:
SimonBoulton

Return to General Discussion