New NA-TT on shapeways

My review about the ore cars:

Postby MacG » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:52 pm

It is a nice model! The ore car is smooth and detailed. Only the air boiler has a rough finish. I haven't it yet primered. At delivery everything was fine, but the stirrups breaks easily. :(

To the trucks: the Peresvet trucks don't work - too long. I have tested the Gold Coast. Even too high but the clearances for the axle is better. I have 4mm distance from wheel tread to the outer frame. The trucks and the car must be modified for lowering.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Roll Out of the ML-4000

Postby MacG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

The ML-4000 runs great and it pulled the first train. The frame is CNC-machined brass. The motor will be changed to one with flywheels. This one I had found at my stuff. Now I must sketch the truck side frames and I have to shorten the tank. The casing needs a primer.
Dresden_13_04_2013_03.jpg

RollOut_02.jpg

RollOut_03.jpg

RollOut_04.jpg

RollOut_05.jpg
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Re: New NA-TT on shapeways

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Very nice. Quite an American TT fleet in the first pic! Impresive collection.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 pm

It's not a single collection, I think. The models belong to various owners—MacG, Taxari, ...
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Taxari » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 am

built by Shapeway models with Lok-n-Roll drive mechanism (runs well); Subway R32 and Budd RDC
CIMG8867.JPG
CIMG8868.JPG
CIMG8864.JPG
Taxari

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:43 am

the RDC looks pretty good from that shot. is there a picture of the ore car?
scaro

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am

MacG wrote: (snip)
The ML 4000 has got some Tillig spare parts. I have removed the side frames. Now I must build a frame. I bought a H0 one from Rivarossi and plans from Krauss-Maffei, to make the truck side frames.

Shapeways_Tillig_1.jpg

Shapeways_Tillig_2.jpg

what trucks are the ones on the ML4000, please? are they tillig?
scaro

Postby LVG1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 am

scaro wrote:the RDC looks pretty good from that shot.

It looks good from far, but not from close. I had it in my hands.
The fronts look like vertically corrugated—result of the coarse resolution.
And the roof looks as if the prototype had come into a very heavy hail shower—lots of little craters of up to a third millimeter in size.
Additionally, the surface is very rough—too rough for a stainless steel car.
:(
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby scaro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 am

i am starting to see signs of deterioration in one hopper i ordered in FUD. it has thin side walls. the material is softening.

this is after 2 months exposure to light on a window sill. in english winter and spring sunlight. not that hot. in that time, the temperature ranged from -6C to 20C with not a huge amount of direct sunlight on most days.

this wagon also had 30 seconds under warm water to fix a warp in the side wall. maybe the softness comes from that? it is not wet to the touch so i assume it did not absorb the water, but it is significantly softer than it was before.

i left it on the sill because an aussie manufacturer who has done a lot of resin casting and knows a lot about plastics, said to me a while ago that his opinion was 'light alone' would lead FUD to deteriorate in the long term. i find this troubling. he knows what he's talking about when it comes to plastics.

he said these kinds of plastics are also more affected by heat than urethane or epoxy resins, ie, they'd soften significantly at around 43 degrees C when 60 degrees C is considered more normal.

epoxies and urethanes can be treated with hot water to cure bowing and quickly harden afterwards. however he also said that shapeways type materials maybe be less likely to harden again if this is done. this is because the material is less stable. you do see such deterioration in early epoxy resins for the same reasons, but things like fastcast /easycast were more like the pinnacle of the game and tend to last better.

i've also been made aware that some australian shapeways models made in G scale for outdoor use 'sweated' and then turned to goop in summer conditions. australia of course is very hot in summer, with temperatures around 40 C.

in any event i'm going to call a moratorium on shapeways (AKA US outline) for now. i've got 7 wagons and numerous parts so i'm thinking it's time to leave off on being a 'pioneer'. someone else can take the risk :angel: ... i'll come back and see what the state of the game is in 2 years.

i am ordering an australian wagon made using i-materialise 'hard prime' material to see what the qualities of that are, so i'm still sniffing around.

ben
Last edited by scaro on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 am

These are the types of issues I forsaw - and the reason I didn't offer anything in FUD until people asked for it. 2 more years and maybe the materials will be "there".
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models