New NA-TT on shapeways

Re: New NA-TT on shapeways

Postby MacG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 pm

ConducTTor wrote:If anyone orders any of these (well, anything TT from shapeways), can you post detailed pics please?

Okay, here some pics of the U15.
U15_Hopper_1.jpg

U15_Hopper_2.jpg

U15_Hopper_3.jpg

A very nice and stable model.

New on shapeways:

C&NW and LS&L ore cars
http://www.shapeways.com/model/854444/o ... ur-tt.html

Krauss Maffei ML 4000 cab unit
http://www.shapeways.com/model/866088/t ... affei.html
infos about at wikipedia

B&O wagon top box car
http://www.shapeways.com/model/863052/t ... oxcar.html

The first two I have ordered.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 pm

The KM ML4000 looks cool, that's one of my favorite locomotives!
The seller says the truck sideframes will be wrong, I'm wondering if any of the Tillig models would have a suitable truck (or even a whole chassis) that would work under it? The 1800 MM axle spacing is pretty close for most US C-C locomotives, but I'd love to have one!
areibel

Postby scaro » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 pm

al, i'm probably too finicky but i can't think of anything american that had 1800 +1800 (5'11" + 5'11"). it's a very german size, not surprising given where the KM comes from. SDL39 was close(12' 2"), but asymmetric spacing and i don't think there's a TT kit around for that!

for that wb, try the CC tilligs, the BR119 or ludmila, they are 15+ 15mm which is right.

only thing is i am not sure how 'extendable' tillig chassis are. my BR120 chassis (an older version i think) does not look easy to extend at all, except by reversing the trucks.
scaro

Postby areibel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Ben,
I chose my words badly, I should have said "too close" instead of pretty close! But thanks on the tip for the Tillig models, I'll have to check them out- maybe if the TT gods are with me the sideframes would be close too!
areibel

Postby scaro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 am

thankfully there's someone there more talented at photography than me. the U15 does deserve attention ... it's the best thing i've seen from shapeways so far.

i didn't draw attention to the KM when i saw it a week or so back because no one much seems interested in shapeways stuff.

in one way, i understand, they have not covered themselves with glory so far. but, they seem to be improving. my U15 shows no sign of bowing, softening, and there's no carcinogenic orc jism from the bowels of mordor seeping out of it, etc.

the other issue though is the stuff on offer tends to be very 'niche'. if you want a railroad with KMs hauling phosphate hoppers and civil war era boxcars, then shapeways is your boy. but it still tends to be a matter of oddball stuff rather than 'da basixs', no X29s or USRA boxes or PS1s.

with the KM, i don't know what the designer means when he says '(n)o accommodations were taken for prototypical accuracy, thus the tank and truck covers are the wrong length'. does he mean the original N version was designed for US truck lengths, eg 13' 7" rather than 11'4"? that's quite likely ... many US N scalers have tunnel vision and won't compute that there are might be euro stuff out there that matches up better.

i make these trucks 1744 + 1744mm ie, 14.6mm x 2 in TT. the tillig BR119 is close but can you get the chassis into the shell and adjust it? expensive way to find out if you can't. or you could regauge and extend something from N (LifeLike PA1 for example) if you have one lying around and don't scare easily.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 pm

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bonevall ... +Scale&s=0

ok, it looks like mr bone valley has gotten the TT 'itch'.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bonevall ... +Scale&s=0

four hopper types, 70 ton 3 bays, both the nine panel we spoke of and what i believe is the more common 14 panel one, and two types of 2-bay. designed to be generic. i think these would fulfil many needs in TT. if he's supported by sales, he'll do more.

ben
scaro

Postby Arseny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 pm

I can't understand, if these hoppers are suitable for the 1950s or not?

Another questions: were they in use all over in the USA and/or Canada or only in the specific regions?..
Arseny

Postby MacG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:16 pm

scaro wrote:with the KM, i don't know what the designer means when he says '(n)o accommodations were taken for prototypical accuracy, thus the tank and truck covers are the wrong length'. does he mean the original N version was designed for US truck lengths, eg 13' 7" rather than 11'4"? that's quite likely ... many US N scalers have tunnel vision and won't compute that there are might be euro stuff out there that matches up better.

He have only rescale the model from N-scale. The model has some modifications to fit on a N-scale SD45.

The truck lengths from a BR119 are very close (2x 15mm, we need 2x 14,5mm) and the wheel diameter is also close (8,3mm to 8,47mm). A new chassis is not a problem, there are enough space in the KM. You must not buy a BR119 to get the trucks. It give it as spare parts.

For more detail you can use the truck from a BR109/142 and adding a middle axis. The wheels from a NoHAB have the right diameter. This must be verified whether the spare parts together fit.

To the new hoppers:
The class of it would be interesting. That you can assign to a time period and railway companies.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Arseny wrote:I can't understand, if these hoppers are suitable for the 1950s or not?

Another questions: were they in use all over in the USA and/or Canada or only in the specific regions?..

the 2 bay hoppers were certainly in use in the 1950s. they were steam era. the 9 panel design is also quite old.

they were in use all over the place. very common.

the 14 panel one was an AAR design that NYC modified and it was the NYC modification that was more popular, i believe.

the 14 panel one has been done in bluford in N (?) http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_017.htm and i suggest searching their site where it lists all the major RRs who owned them. they certainly were around from the mid 50s but orders extended into the 60s and maybe later. the NYC was first in the mid 50s, other RRs ordered 1958 and after. i do not think PRR had them, but E-L, NYC, P&LE, B&A, D&H and others in the east, south etc did. here's a typical one:

http://rr-fallenflags.org/wa/wa24142as.jpg

if you look at the atlas trainman range you will see more detail on the 9 panel hopper. designs like this, or very close, were also owned by many railroads.

i certainly can't promise each design is 100% accurate for a particular wagon, but they will probably be very close to a lot of things, and they look pretty good to me.

if you do research on what you want to model in particular you will probably find out more.
scaro

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 am

MacG wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:New on shapeways:

C&NW and LS&L ore cars
http://www.shapeways.com/model/854444/o ... ur-tt.html
The first two I have ordered.

The ore cars are interesting. I would like to know what they are like.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models