New NA-TT on shapeways

Re: New NA-TT on shapeways

Postby j p » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:43 am

j p

Postby scaro » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Taxari wrote:I've a question: is that prototypical? http://www.shapeways.com/model/778918/u ... Box-search
Has anybody pictures?
Thanks, Jörg

can't locate a pic of the real thing but they were ordered in 1966, ACL 6600-6999. no idea of later numbers but are still in service in the bone valley & elsewhere. i ordered one as i liked his work in N and unlike some of the guys selling stuff there, he's pretty up-front re the pitfalls of shapeways. he used to be in HO,but wanted to move his production away from casting and into 3-D print, and he decided that it didn't get good results in HO but was satisfactory for N.

in TT, it is surprisingly good. well, excellent, even, in that it doesn't seem to need anything doing to it apart from a clean (which apparently has to be with an ultrasonic cleaner to get the wax off?) and a paint.

only concern is the end frames and railings ... i can see them breaking off , but they do seem to have a little bit of flexibility. maybe FUD has improved a bit? anyway, a pleasant enough surprise. it's a test ...i'd like to see how the material goes over time, re the issues with warping and the like.
DSC01099.JPG

he does a big range in N scale and he scaled it up to TT for me pretty fast. maybe some of you will want them.
Last edited by scaro on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby scaro » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:54 pm

scaro

Postby scaro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:52 am

Mr Bone Valley is happy to offer more in TT. If you like southern RRs, here are a couple more.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bonevalley?s=24

Advantage ... these wagons are routinely covered in white dust so decalling can be optional ...
Last edited by scaro on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby Taxari » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 am

Taxari

Postby scaro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am

under CSXT the hoppers look cleaner. many of the wagon types have been used by SAL, ACL, SCL, Family Lines and Seaboard System, so they cover a number of eras. also, they are not just used in the Bone Valley, but anywhere in the SE where there's aggregate or sand to be hauled.

but they do look a good match for the two locos we have on the horizon, the U30B and GP38-2, both of which SCL owned a bundle of. however, if you have other locos, its worth noting that SCL in particular used anything and everything on the bone valley trains.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

If anyone orders any of these (well, anything TT from shapeways), can you post detailed pics please?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:27 am

alex, what i'm doing is to let mine sit a while. as you see, it doesn't photograph well due to the translucent material, you can't see how damn nice that detail is.

the talk on S/W forums on their site is that they improved FUD in early 2011 so it doesn't wilt or bow.

me, i'm a cynic; i'll wait and see how the model goes after being exposed to three months of temperature changes. these models have very fine detail. it's this in particular that i love but which also worries me ... will those fine little ladders and end frames fare OK? if they do ... then i'll say i'm a convert because frankly, TT probably hasn't seen a better US model than this. it is a little beauty. i've got two other types coming now so i can see whether i just got lucky the once or whether this is 'standard'.

when i've had it 3 months i'll spray with grey primer and take some proper photos.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Sounds good, I look forward to the results :) As for a FUD fix "in early 2011", that has not been my experience.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm

P.S.

If/when FUD or FD do improve and are consistent I'll redo my models to take advantage :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models