New Method of Printing Decals?

Re: New Method of Printing Decals?

Postby j p » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:14 pm

The most readily available source of custom decorated TT scaled models are injection molded kits or undecorated cars. The second would be resin kits (and milled kits) + some etched metal kits.
Shapeways models are available but they need much more than just paint and print. I do buy Shapeways models, but buying 20 of them, degooping, sanding, adding details, painting and then printing (where you have to adjust the machine for each of them because each of them warps in a different way)...? That is not likely.
Buy one, make a mold and then resin copies would be a better solution - (it may require a permission from the designer!)
j p

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:30 pm

You mean,...actually using Rapid Prototype Technology to make a ...Prototype...?
Tom Dempsey

Postby NetzlofDesign » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

We are actively researching the possibility of doing RTR or kit equipment; We discussed that it was a logical "next step" with our ability to print to existing equipment. For now our operation is much akin to what Bev-Bel was doing in the 90s.

With the advancements in 3D printing technology coming as rapidly as they are I've been doing what I can to research what processes will be the best to produce a master that can be reproduced with as little clean up as possible to the master. So far in the 3D works we have a water truck body and dry bulk trailer being worked on to represent the hydraulic fracturing industry. With what I've seen of the lack of TT offerings (in US prototypes, at least) we have discussed possibly going with a 100-ton Coal Hopper model as an offering, though this is still a few months off before I would be confident to say "yes, we're doing this."
NetzlofDesign

Postby Bernd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:43 pm

An opinion. If I were going to do a TT scale car I would use 3D to make the best possible master to use to make a epoxy mold for plastic injection. Why epoxy mold? If sales fail to materialize you will not have spent a fortune on an aluminum or tool steel mold. Also I would consider whether to make a one piece car or whether I would make individual sides for assembly. As I said, just an opinion.

I believe Bowser is using 3D to make there details parts. A while back they had a web page up showing the 3D printer and some parts it was producing for lost wax casting. This is what they are using.

http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers/professional/projet-1200

Even an individual like me could buy one of these and make parts. Not a bad price. Size might be limited but for making detail parts like brake cylinders, brake wheels and such it would be ideal.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CSD » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:28 pm

This was getting a bit off topic. Conversation has been moved to here: netzlof-car-discussion-t2650.html
Mark
//S
CSD

Previous

Return to General Discussion