New Member saying Hello

New Member saying Hello

Postby SimonBoulton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Hello,
As a new member I thought i'd write a little about myself as an introduction. I actually live in the UK so hope people dont mind me being on here :wave:
Have been interested in the railways of Germany for a long time and espedially the railways in the old East Germany, first visited Berlin in 1994 and was hooked, especially by the strange looking centre cab diesels like the BR202 and the BR346 shunters, now sadly no more :cry:
I started modelling German railways in N, then moved onto HO before finally seeing the light and settling with TT as the ideal compromise. Have had a bit of a break from modelling but the newish Roco BR120 has got me inspired again so joined you guys on here.
Have been lucky enough to visit Germany lots of times and travelled a fair bit, sadly it all seems to be getting modernised at a rapid rate and whilst the railways are very good they have lost a bit of the old character they once had, have still got the memories though, like taking the branch train from Boppard with a BR215 and the steam heating working big time,
Thanks reading, best wishes, Simon
SimonBoulton

Re: New Member saying Hello

Postby gabbysuz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:08 pm

SimonBoulton wrote:Hello,
As a new member I thought i'd write a little about myself as an introduction. I actually live in the UK so hope people dont mind me being on here :wave:
Have been interested in the railways of Germany for a long time and espedially the railways in the old East Germany, first visited Berlin in 1994 and was hooked, especially by the strange looking centre cab diesels like the BR202 and the BR346 shunters, now sadly no more :cry:
I started modelling German railways in N, then moved onto HO before finally seeing the light and settling with TT as the ideal compromise. Have had a bit of a break from modelling but the newish Roco BR120 has got me inspired again so joined you guys on here.
Have been lucky enough to visit Germany lots of times and travelled a fair bit, sadly it all seems to be getting modernised at a rapid rate and whilst the railways are very good they have lost a bit of the old character they once had, have still got the memories though, like taking the branch train from Boppard with a BR215 and the steam heating working big time,
Thanks reading, best wishes, Simon

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the group :wave:

I'm located in Oregon but have always been fascinated with European railways, especially German and French. I was extremley lucky to have the chance to visit Europe in both '03 and
'04, travelled all around Eastern Germany and France / Italy / Switzerland. At that time I could see modernization happening, I hope to go back soon, but I imagine it is even more
modern now. I loved the overnight international sleeper trains, with the ability to roll the window down to get air, unlike here in the US, where everything is shutup and airtight.
But thats what makes modeling so appealing to me, it is like a time machine back to the good old days, even if it wasn't that long ago ! Felix
gabbysuz

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I really need to make a "Welcome to the NuTT" smiley...

From the UK? Not a prob. One of the two big reasons I set this site up is so I can talk TT with others in English.

I'd love to get on a train with a BR215. I love the whole series (V169, 215, 216, 217, 218, 225) and am slowly trying to collect them all.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:52 pm

In 1995, just barely 19, I made my first big solo trip to Europe - almost 10 months over there, just traipsing about. My first stop was Paris, several days there - very quickly looked at the Eiffel tower, arc de Triomphe, Moulin rouge etc, and then spent the next few days at Gare du Nord, Gare de l'Est, etc., getting myself a nice dose of SNCF, which I'd always been partial to (me = fabriquée en France!). From there to Germany, Koeln to be specific, and the first thing I took a picture of was a 218 in CityBahn livery. This remains to this day one of my favourites as far as German engines and liveries go. But I also very much am a fan of the Red Stags (V200), and many other things.

I also clearly remember my first train trip in Germany, in 1980, even though I was only four, with my dad from Bremerhaven (where we dropped our car off for shipping to Canada) to Hamburg. This has also stuck with me, and so if I ever decide to dabble some in European proto, there's a good chance it'll be something in Northern Germany in around 1980. Other options are Yugoslavia (though there'd be a lot of scratchbuilding needed), France (see Yugo) or Greece - V200s run/ran there, ex-DB 260s (for which yay Kuehn!), German coaches...

Welcome!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Welcome to the board, Simon!
Lots of Canadians here, so, we should have no problem understanding each other ;)
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby SimonBoulton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:23 pm

thanks for the welcoes guys! Is great that there's a site we can discuss TT models in English. Only confusing thing is the different names for railway items, like a point is also called a turnout in the US and Canada?
SimonBoulton

Postby SimonBoulton » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 pm

I'd love to get on a train with a BR215. I love the whole series (V169, 215, 216, 217, 218, 225) and am slowly trying to collect them all.

I'm very fond of them too, when they started getting replaced by DMU's on local trains, there were some articles in the UK telling you which routes they could still be found on so I travelled to Cologne and did as many as I could. Some lovely trains on single track branches with amazing scenery. Think I'm gonna have to get a BR215 in TT sometime soon! One thing that I do remember with the local trains was how mixed up the different colour schemes were, you could see the silverfish coaches in the original silver, later regionalbahn colours and the new red scheme all in the same train! One train even included an ex DR coach still in green and beige but with a DB symbol replacing the DR. Writing this has made me realise that the trip was probably about ten years ago now, how time flies, lol.
SimonBoulton

Return to General Discussion