New locomotive based on SD45 - any suggestions?

New locomotive based on SD45 - any suggestions?

Postby Arseny » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Hello, guys.
There is some question to you.
Andrey Norkin ("Norkin-model") told me that maybe it will be possible to produce some new variation(s) of the SD45 locomotive, or maуbe some new locomotive with similar body, based on the SD45 model

So maybe anybody can help him with complete information about body differencies?
For example: "the deck is XX mm longer, the fifth door should be removed..." etc.etc.

Maybe 4-axle versions also.

He plan to use his SD45 model as starting point, so we are talking about similar locomotives.
Arseny

Re: New locomotive based on SD45 - any suggestions?

Postby MacG » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:22 pm

A short look at Wikipedia says, the frame is the same like EMD SD38, EMD SD39, EMD SD40 and EMD SDP40. Include the Dash 2 and the tunnel motors of this models. Think of, that Art&Detail build an SD40-2.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm

MacG is right, any of those would be a good match. You can check out some drawings here-
http://trainiax.net/mescaleloco-list.ph ... &scale55=1
Scroll down to "EMD", you can bring up some drawings of anything from the SD38 up to the SD45-2. Most of them (except for those with an SDP-suffix or the SD45T-2) have the same frame length, a newer Dash 2 version will have a slightly different cab than the original SD's but the body will be much the same. None have the flared radiators like the SD45 so the back half of the long hood will be different, but the center section (where the taller doors are) will be almost identical.
If he really likes the flared radiators he could do a GP (four axle), like this! http://www.trainweb.org/tomfassett/pics ... _GP40X.JPG
areibel

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:50 pm

I think the nose in the current unit is dimensionally off, which is why I did not purchase one. I think this needs to be remedied so they have that EMD 'Spartan cab' look. If I had a model I could go over it with a caliper and suggest the changes needed, but I don't.
scaro

Return to General Discussion