New layout

Re: New layout

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 25, 2010 3:58 pm

CSD wrote: You're really crackin' it out.

LOL! I'm thinking I need to slow down - I'd like to try out the Kuehn rails when they're available and possibly use them on the upper level..........
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Tue May 25, 2010 8:03 pm

if you plan on covering the track with crushed rock ballast, i had a 4by6 n scale layout and used regular green ground foam underneath the tracks, and then covered the tracks with ballast. you couldnt see the green ground foam and it ran extremly quite. if you have a spot on your layout where you have free space give it a try.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll likely try several solutions. There was an article in MR last year sometime where they did noise comparisons of different products and foam tape in combination with cork came out on top. I'm still utterly shocked about the cork and silicone amplifying noise..........
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! I'll likely try several solutions. There was an article in MR last year sometime where they did noise comparisons of different products and foam tape in combination with cork came out on top. I'm still utterly shocked about the cork and silicone amplifying noise..........

That's why we use Woodland Scenics roadbed, it's a foam like material that dampens sound and vibration. They make sheets of it and roadbed in N, HO, and O, which can be cut to size as needed.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 pm

You got a link?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 pm

I've never actually used cork before on my TT layout, or my O scale layout. I would highly reccommend that
you take a look at this product, called Flexbed, use to be called vinylbed, cut to shape. They use to have TT listed
but I see they have taken it off their listing :thumbdown: , now its listed as HOn36.

A couple big benefits for me is that it curves in one piece, I glued it with only elmers glue, overnight was all set in the AM, and if you should make a mistake or change your plan, it comes up easily ! Sound absorption I would say is pretty good, although I use 2" foam insulation board as a base instead of wood. Service is good, I've purchased from them going back 12 years when I started my first TT layout. It does take approx. 1 month from sending payment to receiving product, as they are cut to order.

Their website is : http://www.hobbyinnovations.com/
gabbysuz

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Thank you sir. As for the "comes up easily" part, I'm having a major fight with a particular area right now :evil:

Thanks all for the responses. I think I will continue with my plan to screw the rail directly to the wood and run trains for a little while to see if I'm satisfied with the sound. If not, I'll set out to test your suggestions.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:56 am

I guess, your cork-problem consists in the resonance effect of your layout substructure combined with the "sound bridge" effect of the used glue - perhaps on a relatively hard cork (?). I had the same impression with Ponal wood glue on 5 mm and 2 mm cork plates: incredible, unglued the thinner plates are quieter, than the more massive plates with glued tracks. The cork itself should be ok. I've used just a 1 mm thinner type, that sounds okay to me.

It seems, either you need a softer bedding, like foam material (only directly under the tracks), another glue (?) or a massier substructure. I think, the first would be the easiest and cheapest to try. You could use stripes of old packing material for this job ...

100_7759.jpg
Zs12

Postby CSD » Sat May 29, 2010 7:52 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
CSD wrote: You're really crackin' it out.

LOL! I'm thinking I need to slow down - I'd like to try out the Kuehn rails when they're available and possibly use them on the upper level..........

Let me know when you do. At this point I'm committed to the Tillig track, however; the branch line may not be done for some time. It would be nice to suggest a smaller profile rail.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Well, I don't think it would be appropriate to mention specifics but let's just say a specific piece of track I will need won't be available from Kuehn for some time. At the rate I'm going (other than the wiring, I plan on having the staging done this weekend) it's likely that I will continue with Tillig track. But you never know. Wewillsee.........
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans