New layout

Re: New layout

Postby CSD » Thu May 20, 2010 1:12 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Actually I'm going to try to mod old BTTB switch machines to work with the new switches. If that doesn't work out, I'll have to think about it. Definitely won't be manual though.

With the EW1's I have used the Atlas under the table mechanisms. They are quite cheap and are strong enough to switch hinged points. The only modification is to enlarge the hole in the point lever to accommodate the mechanisms arm.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 pm

CSD wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Actually I'm going to try to mod old BTTB switch machines to work with the new switches. If that doesn't work out, I'll have to think about it. Definitely won't be manual though.

With the EW1's I have used the Atlas under the table mechanisms. They are quite cheap and are strong enough to switch hinged points. The only modification is to enlarge the hole in the point lever to accommodate the mechanisms arm.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to try to make the BTTBs work since I have a bunch of them laying around. If it's a no go, I'll look at the above.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 24, 2010 11:36 am

I'm having an issue with noise that hopefully someone can shed light on. I have a stretch of rail, "split up" in three sections. The rail sits on cork which is siliconed to the underlying wood. The first section is screwed down through the cork into the wood. The second section just sits on the cork without being attached in any way. The third section is siliconed to the cork.

The middle section which is not secured in any way is very quiet with a train going over it. The other two are quite loud. The section which is screwed through to the underlying wood I expect to be noisy but the section which is siliconed baffles me because it's just as loud (although slightly higher pitched).

So ultimately the question is, why is the section which is siliconed to cork which is siliconed to the wood so loud? I can't believe that a relatively soft combination of <silicone><cork><silicone> transmits so much noise :wtf:

Any ideas, opinions, suggestions are greatly appreciated.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 24, 2010 8:39 pm

I just tried something else out. I screwed a stretch of track directly to the wood. It's MUCH quieter than having cork between the rails and wood. Insanity. Can someone tell me the benefits of cork?????
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Check this out:

Now let's see what a pain it will be to pull up the siliconed cork I paid $80 for............
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:01 am

ConducTTor wrote: Can someone tell me the benefits of cork?????

The main benefit I've found is that it creates a ballast shaped roadbed that looks pretty realistic. I mostly use luan plywood cut to roadbed shape instead of cork in the larger scales but I've used cork in HO scale with no problems. I'm designing my first TT layout now and haven't decided on the roadbed material yet but might just use the luan plywood cause I got lots stored away.
Sound problems usually come from benchwork built with drumming potential, the cork can't cut out all the noise by it's self. Closer spaced framing which cuts the unsupported lengths into smaller sections along with thicker table top or sub-roadbed should help.
Running at scale speeds would be the easiest solution, real trains make lots of noise especially on jointed rail so if scale trains are run at scale speeds the noise should be tolerable?.
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 am

Well, my bench work appears to be up to par as it's the quietest solution (rail screwed directly to wood). I don't expect things to be recording studio quiet but expected the cork to lessen the noise a bit rather than amplify it. I've been busy pulling everything up - the cork is next. At this point, everything I'm dealing with is at the staging so I'm not concerned with looks or the absence of roadbed. I guess once I get to the main level I'll decide if I want to use the cork for bedding or something else. Thanks!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Did you try the foam tape?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I have not. I wanted to cover large areas (see the cork in the vid) so I went with cork. For now, screwing the rails directly to the wood is quiet enough so that's the way I'm going. When I get to the upper level and need roadbed, foam tape will be my first choice.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Good to see some trains running on your layout. You're really crackin' in out. Must be fun!
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans