New layout

Re: New layout

Postby Zs12 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:24 pm

If you've so much space to model, I would prefer greater radiuses for the main tracks (in station).

So nice track lengths ... I only can dream about.
Last edited by Zs12 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zs12

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 pm

lüTTe wrote:I would prefer major radiuses for the main tracks (in station).

Do you mean on the switches? Minimum radius on all tracks is 353mm.

lüTTe wrote:So nice track lengths ... I only can dream about.

That required a LOT of bargaining with the woman :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:52 am

Looks Good ! Of course it is always advisible to do the largest radius curves, with space permiting. 353mm sounds okay, depending on what your running. My first layout
has 396 mm curves, which are okay, but on the longer passenger cars it would be better appearance with even larger, but sometimes that is not possible.

Another trick and very helpful for smooth running, is the use of Transition curves, even if for the first 5-10 inches, cut a piece of flextrack, and have a nice super wide radius
piece lead into your minimum curves, I will say that it is really helpful for smooth running, and helps with the appearance too. Happy building !

(I'm starting track laying on my new layout this weekend, hope to start a topic for my new layout when I get some time !)
gabbysuz

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I should clarify a bit - the only 353mm radius is in the "kink" between the yard and passenger station (and 1 line of staging) - all else is 396. Honestly I've never thought very much about transition curves but I'll play around with them and see what I think.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Not only on the switches, I meant to enlarge all courves in the whole station. You said you've taken the Tillig track geometries, their EW2 has a 631 mm radius - 396 mm looks nice, the 631 mm radius looks much nicer, especially with long trains and/or long cars! :) Wherever it's possible I would take this for the visible tracks and switches. I'm currently in progress to replace all EW1 on my layout too. Only two EW1 will stay albeit with modified geometries. I think, it's worth it.

Only the single-track line in the foreground (on your track plan) could become a problem. A tunnel or a bridge? ... could be a solution.
Zs12

Postby gabbysuz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I should clarify a bit - the only 353mm radius is in the "kink" between the yard and passenger station (and 1 line of staging) - all else is 396. Honestly I've never thought very much about transition curves but I'll play around with them and see what I think.

Sorry I missed that, well even better, 396mm is good. Of course you can always hide your sharper curves in a tunnel as long as all your equipment runs okay on that radius.

I didn't use transition curves on my first layout and I regret it, I'll definitely be using them on my new layout, just to help the appearance and overall running quality, although it does require
some trackwork with cutting and positioning, but thats part of the fun for me !

I think you're making the right decision to start building now instead of waiting for the Kuehn track. Somebody once said, I think John Lennon, "Life goes by, while your waiting". thats why I'm starting my layout now, even with a potential move coming up within 1-2 years. And just think, when your ready for the next great layout, the Kuehn track system should be very well along with many different turnouts etc... to choose from :D
gabbysuz

Postby CSD » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:44 pm

I like your track plan. In light of getting some larger radii, have you considered inserting a triangle in the inside corner of your "L". This may also free up the kink in the train yard.
A1.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind is the positioning of the switch machines. You have a lot of overlapping track and if using a larger under the table mech. (tortoise) they will obstruct the lower level.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Even though i have quite a bit of room to work with, what you guys see is the absolute maximum. When i get home ill play around some more and swap out all EW1s with EW2s - except at the staging. The single track at the front is on an incline and will go into a tunnel under the top level at the bottom corner.

Regarding the overlapping tracks and switch machines, i believe i can fit what i need although it may require some creative solutions in certain places. It's going to be tight but i think i can make it work.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:54 pm

You know, I noticed something. All the major curves on your layout are inside curves. The noticeable gap between cars on tight curves will be facing away from the viewer.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby gabbysuz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 pm

CSD wrote:You know, I noticed something. All the major curves on your layout are inside curves. The noticeable gap between cars on tight curves will be facing away from the viewer.

Knew I was forgetting something ! good point ! the inside of the curve is always better visually, so you can get away with sharper radius without affecting the appearance too much. EW1 turnouts are fine if they're in a yard with small locos working it with smaller freight wagons instead of long passenger cars.
gabbysuz

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans