New layout

Re: New layout

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Welcome to the board dileTTante and thanks for the response! I'm still having trouble finding out the dimensions and angle of the #6 switch which Kruger offers. If I DO end up going this route, switches that I need which are not offered will have to be Tilligs with the rails replaced with code 70. I'm not sure how that will work with frogs, etc though. I've been trying to find more info on Kruger products but the only site that seems to be theirs has no mention of TT http://www.krueger-modellbau.de/

Now, get out of the arm chair ;)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 am

Thanks for welcoming me.

It was a long time ago and now I'm thinking that I got my flex track from DnS, not from the UK. Here are my guesses about it. I suspect DnS Kruger track is old stock that Mr Schneider has left from earlier purchase. The flex track labeled Kruger and the turnouts labeled Bing appear to be made by the same company. Searches for Kruger show model rolling stock but no track, and Bing is only rarely mentioned, so I think neither company offers track or turnouts now. My last guess is that the same track and turnouts are being marketed by Tillig. Those are just guesses.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:15 am

I've been doing a lot of research and here's the deal: "Kruger TT" is actually the German name for "TT Model" which is a Russian company. I don't believe it's the same stuff as Tillig - I found the dimensions of their only turnout (#6) - they are 160mm in length at a 12' angle. That does not match any of Tillig's offerings - the closest is the EW2 which is 166mm long and a 15' angle.

And by the way, who is Mr Schneider?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gabbysuz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:07 am

ConducTTor wrote:I've been doing a lot of research and here's the deal: "Kruger TT" is actually the German name for "TT Model" which is a Russian company. I don't believe it's the same stuff as Tillig - I found the dimensions of their only turnout (#6) - they are 160mm in length at a 12' angle. That does not match any of Tillig's offerings - the closest is the EW2 which is 166mm long and a 15' angle.

And by the way, who is Mr Schneider?

I have heard the name Mr. Schneider as well, have no clue how he is connected to Kruger. One small thought I can add is I have a Kruger left hand turnout on my
3' x 6' layout, it was purchased from Railtech back in the mid 90's, I assume their track is the same today. It looks fine and has functioned okay over the years, but I
would suggest maybe sticking to Tillig (even if a little change in plan is needed), and I would certainly suggest to stick to one track manufacturer as opposed to mixing / matching, which can cause problems. The Kruger rail height is less than Tillig and the transition isn't the best. I think I used it only because I was out of Tillig turnouts at the time.

Your track plan looks great, a really nice station and a nice run in limited space, the hidden staging is really important, I found out the hard way, can't wait to see construction from
begining to end, I will start posting reports when my layout gets going, also waiting on a potential move, so just designing / dreaming at the moment.
gabbysuz

Postby dileTTante » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 am

David Schneider is DnS who sells Kruger TT track. His name appears at the bottom of DnS page. If I remember correctly he started in early nineties when Tillig tried to enter US market. Thanks for corrections. However, my Kruger track says Western Germany.

My 'Bing' - 'Kruger'? turnouts measure 162mm (6 5/16 inches) end to end of straight section, and divergence is 12 degrees as near as I can tell with a protractor.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I found this top plan of a German TT layout which has kind of the same foot print as your own.
Gleisplan.jpg
Gleisplan.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 802 times

the rest of the layout is here: http://galerie.tt-pics.de/categories.php?cat_id=181
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm

It's close. I've been making some tweaks to mine.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey everybody, I'm getting close to starting construction and have several new interpretations of the layout (may change depending on when the Kuehn track is available and its geometry). 9ft by 11ft L shape, 34inches wide at all points. The shorter leg of the L is the passenger station, the longer leg is a yard with some industry. Min radius is 353mm, all straight switches are EW2s except in the yard where I've used EW1s. The two ends at the bottom are separated vertically by 9cm and end up in a double line helix going to the staging underneath. I've mainly played with the yard as I struggle with finding a compromise between simpleness, multiple tracks and, making things interesting.

Let me know which version you like and why. (btw, tap on the pics to see them whole)

ElevenByNineNew5.jpg
ElevenByNineNew5.jpg (93.2 KiB) Viewed 780 times

ElevenByNineNew7.jpg
ElevenByNineNew7.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 780 times

ElevenByNineNew8.jpg
ElevenByNineNew8.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 780 times

ElevenByNineNew9.jpg
ElevenByNineNew9.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 780 times
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 am

Haven't gotten any feedback yet but I've moved forward. I've pretty much nailed down what I want and designed the whole layout including the lower level staging. I've decided that the 4th quarter release date for the first Kuehn track is too long to wait so all is designed according to Tillig track geometries.

I'm hoping to start building the foundation next weekend :dance:

MainDeckTransparent.jpg
BothDecks.jpg
transparent_decks.jpg
staging.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:26 am

Here is what the end product should closely resemble.

MainScenicked.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans