New layout

Re: New layout

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:37 am

Well, I may be the exception here, but for me, locomotives are just incidental "necessary evils" to pulling all those cool boxcars and tank cars! *THOSE* are where the coolness is! :D
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 am

TTQuebec wrote:Well, I may be the exception here, but for me, locomotives are just incidental "necessary evils" to pulling all those cool boxcars and tank cars! *THOSE* are where the coolness is! :D

Seriously?????? I'm exactly the opposite - I buy wagons just so my locos have something to pull!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:37 am

Oh yeah - a GP7 is a GP7! But boxcars (especially in my favourite, the transition era), have soooo many different ends, and doors, and roofs, and underframes and brakewheels, etc etc etc, that even two Pennsy X29s can be totally different!

I'm sure locos exhibit such differences, too, but for whatever reason, it's boxcars primarily and tank cars secondarily that have really deeply grabbed my interest.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 am

I suppose it's an oddity of North American railroads that so many 'off the shelf' designs were used on so many roads. Aside from the dynamic brake option, and a few oddities like NC&StL's GP7s on AAR switcher trucks or the hood extension on a few roads for train heating equipment or generators, http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cnw/cnw1651ads.jpg , GP7s were much of a muchness.

In Australia, state railways had all sorts of individual specifications, some related to crew preferences - which particularly affected the cab, obviously - and gauge, safeworking requirements, brake systems and axle loads. All of this meant that the same model loco could look very different on two different systems.

For example, these two English Electrics are to all intents and purposes the same thing, but you wouldn't know it:

http://www.hothamvalleyrailway.com.au/c_diesel_loco.htm

http://brians-pics.fotopic.net/p3658619.html

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:I'm contemplating using DnS TT track for the layout instead of Tillig (support the home grown effort). For those of you who have experience with it, can you give me your opinions? I would be only be using the flex track and switches. For reference, go here http://www.ttscale.com/catalog/w-catalo ... trackitems and click on 'Track & Turnouts'.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the #6 turnout and the Double-Slip switch and do they correspond to any of Tillig's switches angle and dimension-wise (just so I can substitute in rail planning software)?

Just bumping this question up.

Bumpity bump.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 pm

After your suggestions and looking at satellite maps of various railroad station and yards, I started from almost zero. What I came up with is the following:
basically one big station, split between an industrial yard and a passenger station with two potential through lines. The front of the layout carries a single main line where I can watch the trains go by. At the bottom end both lines will go into tunnels and into a helix to lower level staging.

I really like this plan - it's the first I've done that I'm satisfied with so I'm going to run with it. Construction will hopefully begin in about 3 weeks.

new_layout_track_plan_1.jpg
new_layout_track_plan_1.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Looks good (insert thumbs up)! I like the "viewing" track in the foreground. With the height difference you'll be able to create a lot of nice spaces with enough separation to suggest different places. I have seen some really nice layouts with this concept, right on! Are you going to double track the helix or wire the layout like a reverse loop? Also, I highly recommend the method of helix construction I used. Once the first loop was done and the bugs were worked out, the rest went really fast.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Well, I just did the math on grades and so on so my original thought of a double helix wont work out. The line at the end of the industrial area doesn't have enough space to curve under itself so I have to extend it along the wall back towards yard to get the needed clearance to go under the deck. So, eventually it will will have it's own single helix at the top right corner. So the whole thing will be a loop. As for construction of helices, the method you used is what I've seen used time and time again so it must work - so that's what I'm doing :thumbup: . And by the way, you can have one of those as well if you click on 'view more smilies' in the smilies window on the right.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm contemplating using DnS TT track for the layout instead of Tillig (support the home grown effort). For those of you who have experience with it, can you give me your opinions? I would be only be using the flex track and switches. For reference, go here http://www.ttscale.com/catalog/w-catalo ... trackitems and click on 'Track & Turnouts'.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the #6 turnout and the Double-Slip switch and do they correspond to any of Tillig's switches angle and dimension-wise (just so I can substitute in rail planning software)?

It turns out that this track is made by Kruger in Germany. So, let's try this again: anyone have experience with Kruger track?

From what I've been told it uses code 70 ~ 71 rail so it's obviously closer to prototype. That makes me want to use it even more.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 pm

For what it's worth --I bought Kruger track from TT supplier in UK several years ago, back in early 90s for a layout that has yet to be built. The flex track I have is in half meter lengths. I bought N scale flex track locally hoping to use it somehow in TT, such as building turnouts maybe. The N rail is physically taller than the TT rail. I've set up lengths of the Kruger flex on the floor to run trains once in a while --Berliner and Tillig models-- and they worked well on the Kruger track. Don't know about what's available these days, such as concrete ties. I would order more if ever I got out of the armchair. (That's what I hope this site will do for me.) From my extremely limited experience I think you would be satisfied with the Kruger track.

Along with the Kruger track I got some matching turnouts but they are marked 'Bing -Western Germany'. They work well enough but the movable points are a tiny bit higher than the other rail in the turnout and the rolling stock bumps going onto the points.
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans