Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:47 pm

DAAAAAAAAAMN!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: New layout

Postby CSD » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:08 pm

ConducTTor wrote:That was exactly my original thought. But, at a 3% grade I would still need to go around twice to get to the staging (to have enough headroom between the main deck and the staging deck). So, I may as well do helices on both ends and be done with it.

I just remembered an article from a while back. Someone had built a staging yard like a huge traverser under the main level. If you can't get the height why not put the entire yard on a drawer for access. You could even interlock the electrical so that when pulled out the lead in tracks are dead.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm contemplating using DnS TT track for the layout instead of Tillig (support the home grown effort). For those of you who have experience with it, can you give me your opinions? I would be only be using the flex track and switches. For reference, go here http://www.ttscale.com/catalog/w-catalo ... trackitems and click on 'Track & Turnouts'.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the #6 turnout and the Double-Slip switch and do they correspond to any of Tillig's switches angle and dimension-wise (just so I can substitute in rail planning software)?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:28 pm

ConducTTor wrote:As for the 'return' line, I'm also undecided. I don't want to add staging there because I don't want to add more depth. Also I want an area of 'country' running for the trains - nothing but grass and trees. I haven't decided yet if I want to do helices on each end and have the staging below.

Hi, New member here, You might be able to add staging around the rear by moving the backdrop out a few inches from the wall and running the staging behind it. If the backdrop height is a little shorter than your arm reach you could fix any problems by reaching in from the top?
The town at the bottom looks a little strange as it's served by a separate track from the mainline yet in the same location? A real railroad would just run the one track and serve the town off of it? It might also look better to have that town follow the mainline around the curve instead of be encircled by it? If a mainline turns it's due to something in the way which would also effect the shape of the town tracks, something like a mountain or lake in the center would give a reason for the mainline track to loop around that end with the town tracks following it. A similiar situation applies to the yard and town at the other end loop.
I like your idea of rural scenery for the rear return tracks but would probably try to add a short siding and small station about halfway between the loops to increase the amount of operation? Do you have a location and type of scenery picked out yet? Regards, Dave Branum
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Welcome to the board Dave! And thanks for the opinion - the points you bring up are actually EXACTLY what keeps bugging me and what I keep changing.

I'm not prototyping a specific road so I have no town in mind. In general I would like a lot of greenery - grass, trees, bushes, etc.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:44 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
I'm not prototyping a specific road so I have no town in mind. In general I would like a lot of greenery - grass, trees, bushes, etc.

How about narrowing it down to a part of the country? The terrain, trees, and building styles are different depending on where you are trying to model.
Eastern mountains tend to have more and smaller trees and more rivers valleys than western mountains for instance. Farm land would be flatter with more widely spaced trees, Urban greenery would have houses spaced through out etc. Era would also affect the choice of track layout, buildings and bridges etc. so it's handy to have a time frame in mind? I've not yet built a TT layout but I think that 10 foot by 8 foot L shaped space should be a nice size to get in a lot of features....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, I've never done anything other than TT and since TT is mainly concentrated in Germany and East Europe, a huge majority of layouts I've seen have an eastern European topology. That's what I'd like to do as well. I'll be freelancing everything so I can decide on my own scenery but I guess it would make a lot of sense to do some research into the subject.

And I've been able to eek out a bit more space - 11' X 9' :mrgreen:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:08 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm contemplating using DnS TT track for the layout instead of Tillig (support the home grown effort). For those of you who have experience with it, can you give me your opinions? I would be only be using the flex track and switches. For reference, go here http://www.ttscale.com/catalog/w-catalo ... trackitems and click on 'Track & Turnouts'.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the #6 turnout and the Double-Slip switch and do they correspond to any of Tillig's switches angle and dimension-wise (just so I can substitute in rail planning software)?

Just bumping this question up.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:27 pm

ConducTTor wrote: a huge majority of layouts I've seen have an eastern European topology. That's what I'd like to do as well. I guess it would make a lot of sense to do some research into the subject.

Yes it would, or your layout will look like one of those american prototype layouts built by europeans :>) I don't know much about the scenery of eastern europe but if I was planning a layout based on that area I'd start by looking on the internet for cities in the desired location and see what kind of photos they have posted. Should be an interesting project and I guess modeling a european scene eliminates most of the problem of finding suitable TT scale equipment?..........dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:34 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:I guess modeling a european scene eliminates most of the problem of finding suitable TT scale equipment?..........dave

LOL!! True, true. However, I've always imagined an "international" city in the center of the world. There are too many American, Russian, Czech, etc. locomotives (because let's face it, we do this for the locos - not the wagons) that I think are fantastic. They need to come through my station :D . The scenery however, will be much easier to do with some research into a specific area.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans